To view PDF files, you must have a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available as a free download:
Manitoba is the third largest beef producing province in Canada with about 12% of the national beef herd. Our province’s vast natural grasslands are ideal for cow-calf production. About 98% of beef operations are cow-calf operations with the remaining 2% being commercial feedlots.
You will find a wealth of beef production information on this page including:
One of the most important components of beef production is reproductive management. The goal of all cow-calf operations is for every cow to produce a healthy saleable calf every 12 months; this is impossible without proper reproductive management. Below is a collection of information and resources for breeding and reproduction.
You can find more information on forage production in crops.
If you are looking to buy or sell hay, access the Hay Listing in Manitoba.
Beef cattle producers need to be astute managers to remain viable. Management of the beef herd includes many components including economics, herd management, nutrition and feeding, animal health, handling facilities and information management to keep current. For a good overview of yearly management practices, use the Beef Management Calendar resource (PDF 4 MB)
Recognizing the importance of consumer confidence in Canadian beef, a team of industry leaders developed a national on-farm food safety program for beef producers called the Quality Starts Here (QSH), Verified Beef Production (VBP) program. It’s a producer-led program designed to help implement and verify the good production practices on-farm that minimize food safety risks. Read more about on-farm food safety programs.
There are a wide range of beef cattle facilities from simple to very complex designs. The right facility will depend on the type of operation that is identified; low input operations may need a minimum of facilities to get by; whereas a large feedlot requires extensive facilities.
Producers considering establishing or expanding beef operation should make themselves aware of any legislation that may affect their operations. Producers should consult their local MAFRI GO Office, Manitoba Conservation and Water Stewardship and their municipality office for legislation for their area.
Refer to the nutrient and mortalities management sections in environment for additional information.
Locations to board your cattle are available at Cattle Boarding Offered. The listing of Cattle Boarding Wanted for Pasture to Rent is available to producers needing pasture or having pasture available for rent.
Good herd health practices and improved on farm biosecurity can limit the transfer and incidence of diseases.
The viability and competitiveness of the beef industry is fairly reliant on new technologies and tools from research. Taking current research and applying in real conditions is very important especially if it can improve the production and management of the beef herd. The following projects and articles highlight research in beef production.