Residential Tenancies Branch

Get Started
Stay Connected
to the Manitoba Government


Independent Advisor Program now helps landlords and tenants

Sometimes, when there are problems with a tenancy, tenants and landlords both need to use the Residential Tenancies Branch (RTB) to resolve the issues. Some find this dispute resolution process hard to manage and may need some help. The Independent Advisor Office provides staff from Legal Aid Manitoba to help landlords and tenants get important information and advice, file claims and get ready for hearings.

The independent advisor program is now available in Winnipeg to both landlords and tenants and can help them:  

  • fill out forms
  • file claims with RTB
  • file appeals with the Residential Tenancies Commission (RTC)
  • prepare for hearings held by the branch and the commission

Independent advisors can help tenants, and smaller, independent landlords present their evidence at a hearing if:

  • they have difficulty speaking or understanding English
  • they have physical or cognitive (mental or emotional) problems
  • they are on a limited (low) income

Landlords can contact the Independent Advisor Office at 204-505-0720 in Winnipeg; email

Tenants can contact the Independent Advisor Office at 204-881-1714 in Winnipeg; email:

Both landlords and tenants can go to the RTB office in person:
302-254 Edmonton Street, Winnipeg
between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays


Share This