Designated Heritage Buildings
- What is the Designated Heritage Buildings Grant Program?
- What is the deadline?
- Who can apply?
- What is the funding formula?
- How do you apply for a grant?
What is the Designated Heritage Buildings Grant Program?
This program is designed to assist the owners and lesses of a building which is of historical signficance, and is designated as a heritage site under The Heritage Resources Act or City of Winnipeg By-Law No. 1474/77. The objective of the program is to ensure that work complies with the Standards and Guidelines for the Conservation of Historic Places in Canada.
What is the deadline?
Completed applications must be received by the Historic Resources Branch by no later than March 15.
Who can apply?
In order to receive grant assistance, an application must meet all of the following criteria:
- Buildings must be legally designated at the time of application under The Heritage Resources Act or City of Winnipeg By-Lawe No. 1474/77.
- The application must be for work that will be undertaken after a grant has been approved (notification is generally provided approximately three months after the application deadlines). Grants will not be provided for work completed prior to grant approval.
- Applicant must own or be a long-term lessee of the designated heritage site.
- If the applicant is a lessee with a long-term lease - for a minimum of ten years beyond the date of application to this program - they must have written permission from the owner to undertake the proposed work on the property.
What is the funding formula?
Provincially Designated Heritage Sites and Municipally Designated Heritage Sites are eligible for grants up to $35,000.00 on a 50% Department, 50% applicant basis. Typically, maximum grant amounts are only approved for special projects. The average approved grant amount is about $8,000.00. The average approved grant amount for a single-family house is about $3,000.00.
Due to demand on the grant program, some grants may be provided over two or more fiscal years (for example, a $35,000 grant may be split into $17,500.00 in one year and $17,500.00 in the following year). Reapplication will be required for each year... more.
How do you apply for a grant?
- Application Guidelines
- Print out the application form
Fill it in by hand and submit by mail with accompanying documentation.
- Application Form – Fill-in
This PDF form will allow you to enter information into the application and save it on your computer.
IMPORTANT: Please read these INSTRUCTIONS before filling out form.
Historic Resources Branch
Main Floor - 213 Notre Dame
Winnipeg MB R3B 1N3