Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

The Assiniboine River

 The Assiniboine River - plaq0047
(Courtesy of the Archives of Manitoba)

Installed 1959
Junction PTH 1 and PTH 26
East of St. François Xavier

The Assiniboine River, chief tributary of the Red River which it joins in the City of Winnipeg, takes its name from the Assiniboine Indians through whose hunting grounds it flowed. The river rises in the Province of Saskatchewan and is approximately 600 miles in length. A number of trading posts were established along its banks by the North West, XY and Hudson's Bay companies, and on its waters plied canoes, York boats, and sternwheel steamers. The first post along its banks was built in 1738 by La Verendrye who called it the St. Charles River.