Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

Skippy L

Skippy L

Installed 2010
Curren Park
The Pas

This 13 metre (42.65 feet) by 4 metre (13.12 feet) carvel-built and oak-framed riverboat was constructed in 1936 by William Lyons of The Pas Canoe Company for Tom Lamb of the Moose Lake Trading Post.  Equipped to carry passengers and freight, the Skippy L was able to reach areas inaccessible by rail or road, thereby filling an important transportation role in north-central Manitoba.  Pushing or pulling barges carrying trappers to and from the Summerberry marshes, and cargoes of general freight, hay, lumber, and livestock, the craft plied the waters of the Saskatchewan and Summerberry rivers, and Cedar and Moose lakes.

The Skippy L continued in service until 1977.  She had the longest active career of any of the riverboats of her time and type and is the only survivor of that era.  Jock and Carol (Lamb) McAree donated the boat to The Pas History and Heritage Society in 1981.