Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

Knox Presbyterian Church
396 First Street,
Neepawa

 Knox Presbyterian Church

Designation Date: October 24, 1989
Designation Authority: Honourable Bonnie Mitchelson, Minister of Culture, Heritage and Recreation
Present Owner: The Trustees of the Knox Congregation of the Presbyterian Church at Neepawa

Manitoba’s dramatic growth in the 1880s and 1890s brought equally dramatic changes to church architecture. Churches built during the earlier Red River Settlement era (pre-1870) were sturdy, simple buildings, with designs based upon ancient traditions. The arrival in Manitoba of trained architects to the new province ushered in a new sophistication of design.

Knox Presbyterian is an excellent example of the evolution of the Romanesque Revival style. It features rusticated stone surfaces, round-arched windows and a pyramidal bell tower. The church was designed in 1892 by Portage la Prairie architect James H. McDonald who brought a sophisticated knowledge of architectural styles, materials and details to this project.