Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

La Vérendrye

 La Vérendrye - plaq0645
(Courtesy of the Archives of Manitoba)

Installed 1958
Legislative Building, East Entrance
Kennedy Street
Winnipeg

Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, Sieur de La Vérendrye (1685-1749), explorer and trader under whose authority Fort Rouge was built at the confluence of the Red and Assiniboine rivers in 1738, the first recorded structure erected on the site of the present City of Winnipeg.