Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

The Lynch Party

 The Lynch Party - plaq0699

Installed 1975
PR 242
Lynch's Point

In 1871, a party of Scots from Middlesex County, Ontario settled along the Rat Creek and Whitemud River. They were led by Walter Lynch (1835–1908), a member of the Wolseley Expedition of 1870. The 56 settlers advocated a scientific approach to agriculture.

In 1871, Donald Stewart, a member of the party, introduced the Province's first successful purebred stock—Leicester sheep. In 1873 Lynch brought in the first registered Shorthorn cattle. In 1906 Lynch was named the first Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Manitoba Agriculture College.

Besides their contributions to scientific agriculture, members of the Lynch Party and their descendants contributed greatly to the development of the Province.