Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

 

Stopping the Survey

 Stopping the Survey - plaq1191

Installed 1995
Scurfield Boulevard and
Fleetwood Road
Winnipeg

In 1868, the Canadian government negotiated transfer of the vast territory known as Rupert’s Land from the Hudson’s Bay Company to Canadian control effective December 1, 1869. Uneasy about their land and democratic rights under the proposed new regime, the Métis organized a series of mounted patrols to deter the land staking and speculation by Canadians on territory considered to belong to the Métis.

Near this site on October 11, 1869, a mounted patrol of nineteen unarmed Métis, led by Louis Riel, confronted a Canadian government survey crew and compelled it to withdraw. The crew had been making a base line across Métis Red River lots for the establishment of a first township north of Ste. Anne.

The Métis challenge to the legitimacy of Canada’s activities served notice that the residents of Red River would not permit the establishment of Canadian rule before they were consulted and guaranteed their rights. This first public act of the Red River Resistance led ultimately to the creation of the new province of Manitoba on July 15, 1870.