Located on the Winnipeg River, Pinawa Dam was Manitoba’s first hydro-electric generating station. Pinawa Dam was developed in response to the demand for residential and commercial power and was crucial to the rapid growth of Winnipeg in the pre-war years. The station began delivering power in 1906 and was closed in 1951 to allow the full flow of the Winnipeg River to serve the Seven Sisters Hydro Station built downstream.
Pinawa Dam can be found northwest of Pinawa or northeast of Lac du Bonnet on PR 520. From Winnipeg, follow PTH 59 north to PTH 44, east to PTH 11, north to PR 211, east to PR 520 and north 8.0 km/ 4.9mi. to the park. Distance: 97 km/60.1 mi.Resources