Having the knowledge, skills and confidence to make responsible financial decisions is known as financial literacy. Having financial literacy includes knowing about such things as:
- making a budget and sticking to it
- understanding your rights in financial transactions
- shopping carefully and spending within your means
- saving instead of borrowing
- investing wisely
- maximizing the use of resources (ex: workplace benefits, pensions, tax benefits)
Manitoba is committed to working to promote improved financial literacy through education and outreach initiatives. You can find information on Manitoba's financial literacy resources at http://www.gov.mb.ca/finance/literacy/consumer/education_all.html.