Red River Valley Ring Dike Communities and Properties
- There are 18 ring dike communities in the Red River Valley providing protection up to 1997 levels, plus 0.6 m (2 ft). The dikes protect the communities and can be partially or fully closed during a flood. During the 2009 flood, the ring dikes prevented about $700 million in flood damages to these communities.
- The communities in the Red River Valley with ring dikes are: Emerson, Gretna, Letellier, Rosenfeld, Dominion City, St. Jean Baptiste, Riverside, Rosenort, St. Pierre-Jolys, Aubigny, Morris, Roseau River, Lowe Farm, Ste. Agathe, Brunkild, St. Adolphe, Niverville and Grande Pointe.
- Over 1,800 sites in the valley have been floodprotected - homes, businesses, farms - preventing another $100 million in damages during the 2009 flood.
- Ring dikes and other forms of flood works protect 95 per cent of the homes, businesses and farms in the valley.
- The 1997 Canada-Manitoba Partnership Agreement on Red River Valley Flood Protection funded $130 million in enhancements to eight ring dike communities that already had ring dikes; provided for the construction of 10 additional ring dikes; and supported flood protection for homes, farms and businesses.
Spring Flood Peaks
(feet above sea level; Winnipeg is based on James Ave.)
Ring dike community of St. Adolphe
Ring dike community of Morris