Medical Student/Resident Financial Assistance Program (MSRFAP)
Manitoba’s medical graduates are the foundation of the future of healthcare in this province. Recognizing the important contribution of locally trained physicians in providing high-quality health services that meet the needs of Manitobans, the Government of Manitoba established the Medical Student/Resident Financial Assistance Program (MSRFAP) for eligible medical undergraduates and medical residents in May 2001.
The MSRFAP provides financial assistance in the form of a conditional grant, to students studying medicine in the Province of Manitoba, or to physicians establishing a practice in the Province upon graduation.
There are two components to the MRSFAP:
- The Practice Assistance Option, which assists physicians who have established a Family Medicine practice in Manitoba. Additional information and applications are available by contacting Manitoba Health, Healthy Living and Seniors at 204-786-7179.
- The Educational Assistance Option, which assists medical undergraduates and medical residents during their medical training. Online application available below, or for additional information contact ‘Medical Grants’ at 401-1181 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3G 0T3, or call 204-945-5929
2016/17 Available Medical Grants
2015/16 MSRFAP brochure
MSRFAP Online Application
2016/17 Application available in June 2016
Educational Assistance Option - Frequently Asked Questions
When will the applications be available?
The applications will be available in June.
What is the application deadline?
The deadline is midnight on August 15, 2016.
Who can I call if I have questions or wish to arrange a meeting?
Call MSRFAP administration staff at 204-945-5929 between 8:00 and 4:00 Monday to Friday.
What documents are required with my application?
- Proof of your enrolment if you are attending the University of Manitoba as an Undergraduate or Resident.
- A copy of your U of M medical degree and proof of your enrolment if you are attending a residency program at a university outside of Manitoba.
- Void Cheque or Direct Deposit form - you must have a bank account (not a line of credit) in your name that is in Canadian funds at a Canadian Institution.
- Letter of intent clearly demonstrating your plans for employment following the end of your training if applying for the post-graduate or sub-specialty grant in your last year
NOTE: If all supporting documentation is not provided with the application, the application will not be processed until all documents are received.
What is considered my final year?
Final year is either the last year of a RCPSC approved specialty or subspecialty training program.
When and how will I receive the financial assistance?
If the application is approved, an agreement package will be sent for completion. Upon receipt of all signed documents and confirmation of enrolment, Manitoba Student Aid will automatically transfer the funds to the applicant’s Canadian bank account as indicated on the Application Form. Processing time is approximately 4 to 6 weeks once all documentation is completed.
NOTE: Applications will not be processed until all documentation is received.
Is MSRFAP financial assistance considered an asset/income when applying for Manitoba Student Aid?
What are my requirements after receiving this financial assistance?
- To inform MSRFAP of any changes to personal address, phone number, pager number, work number, and e-mail.
- To provide proof of name change.
- To inform MSRFAP of any changes to training program including leave of absence.
- To provide annual confirmation of enrolment.
- To commence the Return of Service (ROS) commitment within 90 days of program completion. Full-time practice (minimum 40 hours a week) is required in Manitoba. 4th year RNI undergraduate or Family Medicine NRFMRS recipients must repay Return of Service in a rural/northern location approved area (anywhere but Winnipeg). All undergraduate grants are location-approved.
- To provide confirmation of employment annually until all conditional grants are repaid in service.
- If ROS commitment is not fulfilled, to repay the full amount plus interest of the financial assistance in one lump sum. If participating in MSRFAP, interest accrues from the day the financial assistance was provided. If participating in the NRFMRS, Return of Service can be pro-rated.
The administrators of MSRFAP are dedicated to providing service excellence. Questions and comments are appreciated. Please call 204-945-5929.