Set text to smallest size Set text to normal size Set text to larger size Set text to largest size

 Employment and Income Assistance (EIA)

Service How To Apply for EIA | EIA Brochures, Forms & Policies
Description The Employment and Income Assistance Program (EIA) provides financial help to Manitobans who have no other way to support themselves or their families. This includes benefits from the Rent Assist Program that helps with housing costs. For people who are able to work, EIA will help them go back to work by providing supports to employment.

For more program information click on one of the following EIA brochures:

Coverage EIA provides benefits (money) to help you with the costs of things like:
  • food, clothing, personal and household needs
  • basic dental, optical and prescription drugs
  • health-related supplies or equipment not provided by other programs.  Requests for these items are reviewed by the Disability and Health Supports Unit
  • supports to help you find and start a job

EIA provides additional benefits to cover extra costs for people living in remote or northern regions of Manitoba.

Rent Assist provides EIA recipients with benefits to help with their shelter and utility costs. Please click here for more information on Rent Assist

For more information on EIA benefits, please look at the EIA brochure that fits your household situation.


You must live in Manitoba and be in financial need.

You may be eligible for assistance if the total cost of your or your family’s monthly basic needs and housing costs are more than your total financial resources. Your financial resources are based on your income and assets. Some of your income and assets may not affect your eligibility.

The amount of your or your family’s basic needs are based on:

  • the number of people in your family, their ages and relationships to each other
  • the EIA basic allowance rate for your family size
  • the cost of some of your ongoing health needs
For more information on EIA and Rent Assist eligibility and benefits that you may receive, please look at the EIA brochure that best fits your household situation.

Applying All Manitobans can apply for EIA.

For information on how to apply for EIA or Rent Assist or to set up a Pre-Intake Orientation, make an intake appointment, or find the EIA office that you should go to, please call

  • 948-4000 if you are in Winnipeg
  • 1-877-812-0014 (toll free) if you are outside of Winnipeg


  • go here to find information on the Winnipeg or rural Manitoba EIA office in your area or region.  

People who are married, or who live as common-law couples need to apply for EIA together. Please click here (PDF, 170KB) for more information on how to know if you are living in a common-law relationship.

If you have an outstanding warrant for certain serious offences your application for EIA may be affected. Please click here for more information on the EIA Outstanding Warrants policy.

If you have recently quit, were fired, or refused a job without a good reason, or just cause, your application for EIA may be affected. Please click here (PDF, 170KB) for more information on what you need to do if this situation applies to you.

Area served Manitoba
Hours 8:30AM – 4:30PM, Monday through Friday, After-Hours (emergency only)
Languages English, French
Fees Not applicable
Access Wheelchair accessible
Telephone Click for Winnipeg offices. Click for Rural offices. After-Hours (emergency only):
  • Winnipeg: 204-945-0183
  • Rural: 1-866-559-6778

TTY 204-945-4796 or 1-800-855-0511 (Manitoba Relay Service)
Address Winnipeg Service Locations or Rural and Northern Service Locations
Share This