Manitoba's northern people..Strategy is underway. Led by co-chairs...Chambers of Commerce, a task force is working collectively with regional partners will to engage in talks...economic growth.
Oswald Sawh, Chief Executive Officer
Communities Economic Development Fund (CEDF)
CEDF has been "investing in Manitoba communities for 45 years". It provides support for community economic development in northern Manitoba through its Business Loan and Fisheries Loan programs with emphasis placed on small and medium sized business enterprises and Indigenous peoples outside of the City of Winnipeg. Beyond financial assistance CEDF activities include providing information, advice and training respecting the administration and operation of economic enterprises. Some investment successes include:
- 11,737 small business jobs maintained over the last 18 years
- CEDF-funded business enterprises have realized $889,625,747 in revenue since 2001 and paid out $223,747,732 in wages in the last 17 years
- An annual average of 1,157 commercial fishers supported by CEDF commercial fishing loans -CEDF -funded fishers realizing $286,158,246 in income over the last 18 years
Doug Lauvstad, Executive Director
Northern Manitoba Sector Council (NMSC)
NMSC members employ over 9,000 people in Manitoba. They have taken a leadership role in many northern initiatives including:
- hosting Career Awareness Tours to highlight resource industry careers available in northern Manitoba
- the development of the northern Essential Skills Training project
- Development and delivery of the Underground Mining Program with Crowflight Minerals
- Development and support of the MKIO Business and Economic Development Forum
- Participation in Career Fairs to highlight and elevate the status of employment opportunities in northern Manitoba's resource sectors
Three economic summits are scheduled to be held in The Pas/OCN, Thompson and Churchill will be in the first week of April 2017, as follows:
The Pas / OCN - April 3-4
Thompson April 4-5
Churchill April 5-6
Roundtables have taken place in Oxford House, Gods Lake Narrows, St. Theresa Point, and Flin Flon.
Additional roundtables are being scheduled in April. Check back for details. If you are interested in hosting a roundtable in your community please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.