Manitoba
Set text to smallest size Set text to normal size Set text to larger size Set text to largest size

Swan River, Fort Hibernia, Red Deer River

1808-1813

In 1808, Kennedy was sent to Fort Hibernia in the Swan River area of modern-day Saskatchewan. In its early years this post was also known as Indian Elbow, and after being re-built in 1824 its name was changed to Fort Pelly. The Hudsonís Bay Company built its inland posts in order to challenge the North West Company, whose traders were preventing many of the high quality furs from the interior of the continent from ever reaching coastal HBC posts. To accomplish this, many HBC posts were built very near to NWC establishments and conflict between employees of the two companies was the inevitable result.