Printer Friendly

Forestry Branch

Set text to smallest size Set text to normal size Set text to larger size Set text to largest size
forestry branchrow of firewood

Fuelwood Harvesting in Manitoba

Fuelwood (firewood) has been used historically and continues to be used by thousands of Manitobans for everything from heating their homes to enjoying while camping.

Where Can I get a Permit?

Personal Use (Own Use) Timber Permits to cut fuelwood on Crown land are available at Sustainable Development’s Regional and District offices throughout the province.

Personal Use Timber Permits are issued under the authority of the Forest Use and Management Regulation subsection 43.1(1) and are subject to The Forest Act (C.C.S.M. c. F150) and the Forest Use and Management Regulation.

As per the Forest Use and Management Regulation Personal Use Timber Permits are for own use only. It is illegal to sell any timber that was cut under the authority of a Personal Use Timber Permit. You must have the Personal Use Permit with you at all times when harvesting. Prior to the transport of timber harvested under the authority of the Personal Use Timber Permit, the Load Slip portion, on the back of the Personal Use Permit must be completed for every load. Harvesting and/or transporting of Crown timber without authority can result in substantial fines and potential confiscation of material and the equipment used in the unauthorized activity.

firewood on truck

The availability of fuelwood and the demand for permits varies throughout the province. Therefore each region of the province may have different policies regarding the issuance of Personal Use permits in order to manage the forest resource sustainably Regions may:

  • have designated sites where fuelwood can be harvested - Eastern Region Designated Sites
  • promote the salvage of downed/dead material in newly logged areas
  • provide access to a Crown location of your choice

Please Note:
Personal Use Timber Permits are available at the Sustainable Development Head office in Winnipeg (200 Saulteaux Crescent, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Mon-Fri), but only for designated fuelwood sites in the Eastern Region. For other areas please contact your local district or regional office.

How much do the permits cost?
Personal Use Timber Permit pricing has changed as of April 1st 2011. The pricing has been simplified to an all-in-one fee allowing the purchaser to harvest up to a fixed volume of timber.

Permit Volume
(up to)

Permit Fee
$ 20.00
$ 1.00
$ 21.00
$ 25.00
$ 1.25
$ 26.25
$ 35.00
$ 1.75
$ 36.75
$ 45.00
$ 2.25
$ 47.25
$ 55.00
$ 2.75
$ 57.75
$ 65.00
$ 3.25
$ 68.25

For volumes greater than 25 m³ please contact your local Regional office.

Buying Fuelwood Privately
Fuelwood can be purchased all over Manitoba from gas stations to campground stores or directly from timber harvesters. It can also be purchased in many forms from bundles to truck loads. Manitoba Sustainable Development does not regulate all aspects of this market therefore it is important that as the buyer you are as informed about your purchase of timber as possible. All loads of fuelwood in transport require a load slip, bill of lading, or numbered receipt that identifies where specifically the wood was cut, seller, purchaser, volume, species, and the time and location loaded and unloaded.

Units of Measure
In Manitoba and throughout Canada the standard measurement of wood or timber is in cubic metres (m³). However when it comes to the measurement/sale of firewood the imperial measure of cords continues to be referenced. See these fact sheets for more information on the measurement of stacked wood in imperial or metric units. Timber is often sold already split, and although it is priced by the cord it may not be a “stacked” cord. It is between you and the seller to establish a price per unit to ensure you know how much you are really buying.

Timber Dealers
Businesses purchasing timber from private land or Crown timber harvesters for resale must hold a valid Timber Dealers Licence (click here for a Timber Dealers Licence application form). Therefore if you are buying fuelwood from a timber selling business, ask where their timber is from and if they hold a valid Timber Dealers licence. Note: Retailers selling small volumes of previously processed timber purchased from a Timber Dealer are generally not required to be licenced. For more information about Timber Dealers licenses contact 204-945-1067. Make sure that you obtain a receipt. The receipt should include the date, company name, address, telephone number, the price as well as the quantity and species.

Buying Local Timber and Invasive pests
There are many invasive pests, such as elm bark beetle which spreads Dutch Elm Disease, that can infect and kill Manitoba’s beautiful native and urban forests. Please review our Firewood Alert page. Some related tips to help reduce the spread of invasive pests:

  • DO NOT purchase, store or transport Elm wood
  • Do purchase fuelwood from local sources and Manitoba dealers

For more information, please contact Sustainable Development, Forestry Branch Tree Line at
204-945-7866 or 1-800-214-6497.

---to top---