Permits to cut Christmas trees, for own use, are available from Manitoba Sustainable Development, 200 Saulteaux Crescent, Winnipeg (8:30 am to 4:30 pm Mon to Fri) and district and regional offices, in the late fall prior to Christmas each year.
With the purchase of a permit, the permittee is authorized to cut a coniferous Christmas tree not exceeding three (3) metres in height from a designated area. Regional/district staff will direct permittees to designated Christmas tree cutting areas.
Dues for own use Christmas trees, not exceeding three (3) metres in height, are $5.00 per tree plus GST.
- cutting shall be confined to the area stated on the permit
- tree(s) shall not be sold or bartered
- permit shall be retained by the person in possession of the tree(s)
- permit shall be produced for inspection on request by a Conservation Officer
- permit expires on the 31st day of December following the date of issue
Manitoba also has many private Christmas tree farms. For more information about private tree farms and the Manitoba Christmas Tree Grower's Association go to: www.realchristmastress.mb.ca
Special conditions are in place for individuals interested in harvesting and collecting boughs and branches for commercial use (ex. wreath making). Please contact the district or regional office in the area you are interested in to get information on required permits, fee schedules and location of designated commercial collection areas.