Camp Morton, 8 km north of Gimli, is named after Monsignor Thomas W. Morton who developed the area in 1920 as a summer camp for orphaned and under privileged children.
Monsignor Morton arrived from England to become rector of St. Mary's Cathedral of Winnipeg in 1919. He devoted much of his time, funds and energy to establish the children's camp with its ornate buildings and gardens. Many children spent a week of their summer holidays in camp, the boys in July and the girls in August. The camp was so well known, the near by community of Faxa became known as Camp Morton.
Where to stay
There are 14 Family Vacation Cabins at Camp Morton and 6 Yurts. The cabins offer: 6, six
person units and 8, four person units and the yurts will accommodate 4 people or a family of 5. In addition, there
are 19 campsites, 5 group use areas as well as a recreation hall
which is available for rent.
Group Use Areas