Fishers are encouraged to attend and share ideas and concerns with the Fisheries Envoy team to ensure a smooth transition to a flexible fish marketing system in Manitoba.
The Fisheries envoy has held and is holding community meetings to discuss option for flexible marketing at the following locations and times.November 4, 2016 - News Release
- November 14, 2016 at 6:00 pm at the Burntwood Hotel (Minor Room) in Thompson;
- November 15, 2016 at 2:00 pm at the Town Hall Council Chamber in Leaf Rapids;
- November 16, 2016 at 1:00 pm at the Fisherman's Co-op Building in Norway House;
- November 17, 2016 at 6:00 pm at Chief Peter Beardy Memorial Center in Grand Rapids;
- November 18, 2016 at 2:00 pm at the Community Hall in Gypsumville;
- November 28, 2016 at 1:00 pm at the Wescana Inn Banquet Room in The Pas;
- November 28, 2016 at 7:00 pm at the Super 8 in Swan River;
- November 29, 2016 at 2:00 pm at the Community Hall in Eddystone;
- November 30, 2016 at 12:30 pm at Matheson Island Community Hall;
- December 1, 2016 at 2:00 pm at the Waterfront Centre in Gimli.
- December 2, 2016 at 10:00 am at Fisher River FRCN Community Hall ;
- December 5, 2016 at 2:00 pm at Berens River R.C. Mission;
- December 5, 2016 at 6:00 pm at Poplar River Health Resource Center;
- February 13, 2017 at 3:00 pm at Kenanow Rec Centre in Wabowden
Planning is also underway for meetings in Berens River, Poplar River and Island Lake.
In addition, the fisheries envoy will:
- identify new regulations, policies and systems needed to establish the new marketing system;
- establish a process for effective and sustainable fisheries management, such as catch and sales reporting requirements; and
- make contact with private-sector interests wanting to develop local fish-processing facilities or marketing co-operatives.
A final report with recommendations is due next spring.