Water Science and Management Branch
The Water Science and Management Branch consists of technical personnel, including hydrologists, limnologists, aquatic biologists, hydrogeologists, engineers, and support staff who provide services in the following main areas:
- managing and protecting the quality and quantity of ground water and surface water including beach water quality;
- providing hydrological scientific services to support the sustainable use of surface water, to assure the protection of people, and to minimize damage to property from floods and droughts;
- providing engineering design services to conservation districts to assist in their water management planning and water infrastructure work;
- protecting the biological and ecosystem health of Manitoba's water systems;
- managing transboundary water issues that may have potential to affect the quality or quantity of waters that flow to Manitoba from upstream jurisdictions; and
- developing and implementing programs aimed at restoring the health of Lake Winnipeg.
The branch is organized into three sections: Groundwater Management Section, Surface Water Management Section, and Water Quality Management Section. Services are provided to the public, local governments, other units within the department, other Manitoba provincial government departments, and other provincial, federal, and international governments. The branch is represented on numerous inter-departmental, provincial, national, and international boards and committees, providing both scientific and Manitoba specific information.
The Branch provides technical and scientific support to a variety of audiences including other government agencies, conservation districts, the public, stakeholders, etc. and responds to thousands of telephone and written requests for information and advice from the private and public sectors. The Branch also provided reviews and comments on projects and proposals related to Environment Act assessments, mine closure plans, crown lands allocations, development plans, subdivision requests, drainage licence applications, etc.
The Water Science and Management Branch delivers strong, scientifically-based programs to ensure Manitoba's water resources and environment are managed and protected in a sound and sustainable manner, including the protection of human health and property.
Call us at:
Toll Free: 1-800-214-6497