Caregiver Recognition Day
The first Tuesday in April is proclaimed as Caregiver Recognition Day in Manitoba. Caregiver Recognition Day is an important day to increase awareness of the valuable contributions made by all caregivers and reach out to caregivers in your family, workplace or community.
If you are interested in participating in the celebration of Caregiver Recognition Day, contact the Seniors and Healthy Aging Secretariat at 204-945-6565 or 1-800-665-6565. There are many ways you can participate such as:
- Reach out to a caregiver that you know and ask them if you can take them for lunch or coffee. If you can, ask them if you can visit with their loved one for a couple hours while they leave to do something they enjoy such as going for a walk, shopping or reading a book.
- Can you help and join the circle of support for the senior? Think about how you can help or share your talents. Maybe you can drop off dinner once a week or take the loved one to a doctor’s appointment once a month. Some people are good at searching for information on the internet when needed. Make a list of things you think you can help out with and have a conversation with the primary caregiver and the senior. Having multiple people help out can reduce the load on the primary caregiver and decrease stress.
- Host an event in your neighbourhood, community or workplace – Empowering caregivers with information on what programs are available for their loved ones and caregivers themselves, can help reduce stress, especially during emergencies or transitions. This can be done through a lunch n’ learn, having a presentation, displaying information in a common area or having a discussion group.
If you are interested in hosting an event, contact the Seniors and Healthy Aging Secretariat at 204-945-6565 or 1-800-665-6565. The Secretariat is available to discuss ideas and help you with the planning.
- Attend an event – Each year there are events taking place in communities, including workplaces across Manitoba.
- careAware Manitoba – Provincial Initiative by the Manitoba Caregiver Coalition that aims to raise awareness in support of Manitobans who provide unpaid care and support to family members and friends. http://www.careaware.ca/