Seniors and Healthy Aging Secretariat

Set text to smallest size Set text to normal size Set text to larger size Set text to largest size

Housing and Rent

Housing Options for Manitoba Seniors

As people grow older, their housing needs may change over time. Research shows that most people prefer to live as independently as possible for as long as possible. In addition, Canadians are living longer and are more likely than ever to reach the age of 100.

As you think about the type of housing you need today you may also want to consider what kind of access to services, health and social supports you may need in the future.  If a personal care home isn’t the level of care you require, the Long Term & Continuing Care Association of Manitoba has outlined options available for seniors housing in Manitoba to help you narrow down the options.

Manitobans are fortunate to have many housing and support options available to meet their needs and help them live independently in their communities.  The following describes the type of housing options that exist in Manitoba.  For more information about what is available in your community, visit

For Winnipeg, visit A & O: Support Services for Older Adults housing directory

For rural Manitoba, visit:

Housing types

  • Condominiums – tenant owns an individual unit and part of the common area in a multi-unit building; pays monthly housing fees and taxes on the unit; can sell or lease it
  • For more information on condominiums, and changes to The Condominium Act (effective February 1, 2015, please visit:

  • Co-operative Housing – tenants are co-owners of the building by buying equity shares; must pay monthly housing charges to cover co-op’s costs

  • Life Lease Rental Housing – a form of rental property usually for tenants aged 55+; lease can be for a specific term or the life span of the tenant; must pay entrance fees and monthly rent; requires a written tenancy agreement, so get a lawyer’s advice before signing the life lease

  • Private Non-Profit Housing – affordable housing provided or managed by incorporated housing associations; tenant eligibility, rent levels and available subsidies vary

  • Assisted Living or Independent Living with Tenant Services – also called retirement residences; a private agreement between the landlord and the tenant that combines independent apartment living with a variety of support services that tenants can buy from the landlord (ex: meals, laundry, housekeeping); some places have on-site help or supervision; tenant pays rent plus cost of services; have easy access to health-related services (ex: foot care). Supportive Housing – an alternative to a personal care home; for seniors and others who need 24-hour support and supervision in a secure environment; tenants pay for support services (ex: meals, laundry, housekeeping); personal care is covered by regional health authorities

Rent Assist:  Help for Low-Income Senior Renters

Rent Assist:  Help for Low-Income Senior Renters

Rent Assist (formally Manitoba Shelter Benefit or RentAid) is a financial benefit for low income Manitobans who rent in the private market.  The amount of the benefit depends on household income and the monthly cost of renting.  For more information please visit or contact Provincial Services by phone at204-945-2197; toll free 1-877-587-6224 (in Manitoba); E-mail:

Share This