Workforce Development
Experienced Tradespersons  

Former Canadian Military

We recognize Canadian military training programs in Manitoba’s designated trades. If you hold Canadian military credentials corresponding to Manitoba’s voluntary (non-compulsory) designated trades, you are not required to apply for certification. However, if you would like to obtain certification in a Red Seal trade that is designated in Manitoba, you may apply through the Military Credential Recognition process if your qualification is listed in column one in the table below. If you have an eligible trade qualification that is not listed in the table below, you have the option to apply for certification through the Trades Qualification process.

Manitoba’s compulsory trades include the following: Construction Electrician, Industrial Electrician, Crane and Hoisting Equipment Operator, Sprinkler System Installer, Steamfitter-Pipefitter, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic, Hairstylist, Esthetician and Electrologist.

Please note that if you will be working in the Manitoba compulsory trades of Construction Electrician, Industrial Electrician or Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic, you must contact Inspection and Technical Services Manitoba, located at 508-401 York Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R3C 0P8 to obtain the required licences after you receive your Red Seal endorsed Certificate of Qualification.

More information about the trades can be found in the Trade Profiles. These pages include links to National Occupational Analyses on which the Red Seal exams are based.

Military Credential Recognition Form
Trades Qualification Application Form

Military Trade Manitoba Designated Trade
Construction Technician Carpenter
Cook Cook
Electrical Distribution Technician Construction Electrician *
Electrical Technician
- including Marine Electrician
Industrial Electrician *
Marine Engineering Technician Industrial Mechanic (Millwright)
Material Technician Welder
Plumbing and Heating Technician Plumber
Refrigeration and Mechanical Technician Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Mechanic *
Vehicle Technician Automotive Service Technician
Heavy Duty Equipment Technician
Truck and Transport Mechanic

* Additional licensing required