Frequently Asked Questions

Certification FAQ

Q. Where do I go for certification training?
Assiniboine Community College offers pesticide certification self-study materials and exams. Exams are written in a monitored online format. Clients should ensure that they have access to a reliable computer with a webcam and a high-speed internet connection. Government issued photo identification and a quiet, private test environment will also be required. Exams will be available approximately every two weeks beginning in mid-November. The cost will be $135 per pesticide exam. Alternate formats of the exams are available upon request.

Q. How do I know which exam(s) to take?
Pesticide applicators must complete the Pesticide Core certification exam along with one or more of the appropriate pesticide category certification exams.

Pesticide dealers must complete the Pesticide Dealers exam.

Commercial manure applicators must take the Commercial Manure Applicator course for liquid and/or solid application.

Contact the ACC Program Coordinator at 1-800-862-6307 ext.6716 if you are unsure which exam categories/courses apply to you.

Q. How often do I need to recertify?
Recertification is required every five years for all licence categories. Certification expires on December 31st, of the fifth year.

Q. I certified in another province. Is this certification recognized in Manitoba?
Manitoba Agriculture recognizes and accepts certification from other provinces as long as the certification meets the National Standard and was granted within 5 years. As of January 2019, all applicants who certified in another province (other than Manitoba) are required to write "Manitoba Reciprocity Exam" prior to securing Manitoba pesticide applicator and dealer licences.

Q. How to apply for Manitoba licence based on reciprocity or certification from another province?

- Fill out Manitoba Applicator or Dealer licence application form

- Attach a copy of certification and a copy of licence from certifying province (some provinces only issue certificates)

- Include licence application fees and submit your application to Manitoba Agriculture

- Wait for instructions from Manitoba Agriculture staff to schedule Manitoba reciprocity exam

- Take the test as scheduled by ACC and reports will be forwarded to Manitoba Agriculture directly

- Licence will be mailed out upon successful completion of Manitoba reciprocity exam

General Licence FAQ

Q. Who needs a licence under the Act?
The Act requires retail pesticide dealers, commercial pesticide applicators, and commercial and off-farm manure applicators to be licensed.

Q. How long is a licence valid?
Licenses are valid for up to a one-year period, from January 1or the date of issue to December 31.

Q. Can a licence be obtained anytime?
Yes, a licence may be obtained anytime it is required, before or within the licensing year of January 1 to December 31.

Q. How do I apply for a licence?
Licence application forms are automatically mailed out to every person who successfully completes the required certification course and examination. Application forms for licence renewals are mailed out annually. Application forms are also available on-line.

Q. What pesticides come under licensing?
Pesticides regulated under the Act include commercial and restricted class herbicides, fungicides, insecticides and vertebrate pest control products. Domestic and restricted class animal repellents containing capsaicin (i.e. pepper sprays) are also included under the Act.

Q. Does the Act require licensing for home and garden pesticides?
No. Home and garden pesticides are classified as domestic pesticides and are exempt from the Act by regulation. Only commercial and restricted class pesticides are regulated under the Act.

Q. Is a licence required for fertilizers?
A licence is required for manure application only. Inorganic fertilizers are exempt from the Act by regulation and do not require a licence for sale or application.

Q. Who is exempt from licensing?
A person does not require a pesticide applicator licence if the total pesticide application completed off their farm is less than 500 hectares and the work is carried out for not more than three individuals in any year.

A person or a group of persons do not require a manure applicator licence if manure is applied to land owned or leased by the person or group of persons and if manure is produced by less than 300 animal units.

Q. Which licence does a seed treatment operator require?
A seed treatment operator requires a pesticide dealer licence to sell seed treatment pesticides or any other pesticides to an end user. A pesticide applicator licence is required if the operator is treating someone else’s seed for a fee. 

Q. What penalties are there under the Act?
Penalties under the Act include fines, imprisonment or both. Individuals that violate or fail to comply with the Act may be fined $100 to $10,000 or imprisoned for 60 days to six months, or both. Licence suspension is another penalty under the Act.

Q. How to file a complaint?

A  pesticide or license related complaint can be filed by filling out a complaint form.

Pesticide Dealer Licence FAQ

Q. What certification courses do I need to take as a pesticide dealer?

Effective December 1, 2020 the certification requirements for obtaining a Manitoba Pesticide Dealer Licence is changing. Applicants applying for a Manitoba Pesticide Dealer Licence or due for recertification will be required to complete a new Pesticide Dealer's Course. The new Dealer's course will replace the current requirement of Pesticide Core and your additional category (Agriculture Ground, Livestock etc) that were necessary to obtain a Dealer licence in the past. This course is offered by Assiniboine Community College (ACC). Contact ACC at 1-800-862-6307 ext 6716 or by email: to register.

Q. Are wholesale pesticide dealers or distributors required to be licensed?
No. Wholesale pesticide dealers do not require a licence; however they are required to distribute pesticides to licensed retail dealers only.

Q. Is everyone who makes retail sales of pesticides required to be licensed?
At least one licensed staff member must be available at a pesticide retail outlet during store hours. Every retail sale of commercial and/or restricted class pesticides must be made by a licensed pesticide dealer. Every business outlet must ensure all staff selling pesticides are licensed.

Businesses that sell pepper sprays must also have a licence. These businesses must designate an individual who is responsible for the licence and for other staff that sell these products.

Q. Do I need insurance?
No. Pesticide dealers don’t require insurance coverage under the Act.

Pesticide Applicator Licence FAQ

Q. What certification courses do I need to take as a pesticide applicator?
Pesticide applicators must take the Pesticide Core and certify in all licensing categories that apply to the work they do. At least one person per landscape or golf course company must have Integrated Pest Management certification.

Q. Are landlords and maintenance staff required to be licensed?
Yes. Landlords and maintenance staff that are paid a wage to apply pesticides are required to have a Pesticide Applicator Licence.

Q. Is everyone who makes commercial applications of pesticides required to be licensed?
All persons that apply commercial and/or restricted class pesticides for a fee, reward or other valuable consideration must be licensed. Agricultural producers are exempt from licensing unless they apply pesticides to more than 500 hectares of land off of their farm or apply pesticides for more than three individuals.

Q. Do I need insurance?
Yes. Commercial pesticide applicators are required to have minimum insurance coverage of $250,000 general liability and property damage exclusive of chemical misuse and spray drift, and coverage of $25,000 for chemical misuse or spray drift.

Manure Applicator Licence FAQ

Q. What certification courses do I need to take as a manure applicator?
Manure applicators must take the Custom Manure Application certification course.

Q. Is everyone who makes transports or applies manure required to be licensed?
At least on person in a crew at a manure application site must have a Manure Applicator Licence. That person is responsible for the supervision of all other applicators on the job site. The licensed Manure Applicator must be on the job site at all times manure is being transported or applied. The job site refers to all activities related to the emptying of a single manure storage, lagoon or corral).

Q. Do I need insurance?
Yes. Commercial and off-farm manure applicators are required to have minimum insurance coverage of $500,000 general liability and property damage.