Frequently Asked Questions – For Families

Click on a link below to learn more about an early learning and child care topic:

General Questions | Manitoba Child Care Search | Child Care Subsidy | Child Care Fees

General Questions

What are the types of child care facilities available in Manitoba?

In Manitoba, there are four different types of child care:

  • non-profit early learning and child care centres
  • for-profit early learning and child care centres
  • home-based providers
  • unlicensed private child care homes

Non-profit and for-profit early learning and child care centres must be licensed by the Manitoba government. Child care homes must become licensed if the provider cares for more than four children, including no more than two children under two years old. These numbers include the provider's own children.

To learn more about Manitoba's early learning and child care system, please read A Guide to Child Care in Manitoba.

How do I know if my child care facility is licensed or unlicensed?

All licensed early learning and child care facilities must post their licence in their centres/homes. Ask the child care provider to show you where the licence is posted.

Are my children safe in an unlicensed child care facility?

Unlicensed private child care homes are not monitored; however, all reports of homes operating over the allowable numbers of children are investigated. To find out more about unlicensed homes, please read Unlicensed Private Home Child Care.

How do I find a licensed facility that will meet my child's needs?

To find out what things you should pay attention to when looking for a licensed facility that will meet your needs, please read the Checklist for Visiting a Licensed Child Care.

Who can I speak to about a problem at my child's licensed early learning and child care facility?

You can contact the facility's director or your child care coordinator. To find out the name and contact information of your child care coordinator, please call Child Care Information Services at 204-945-0776 in Winnipeg, 1-888-213-4754 toll free or email

How do I find licensed early learning and child care in Manitoba??


Go to the Manitoba Child Care Search tool to connect directly with licensed child care facilities. Using this tool, families can search for facilities that meet their needs based on location, hours and availability. Once you find a facility that has an open space and meets your needs, contact them directly to arrange your child care service.

back to top

Child Care Subsidy

What is the Child Care Subsidy Program?

The Child Care Subsidy Program provides provincial support to eligible families to help with the cost of care by reducing child care fees for children from the ages of 12 weeks to 12 years.

How do I know if I qualify for a child care subsidy?

You should submit a subsidy application to find out if you qualify for full or partial child care subsidy. Your eligibility depends on various factors, including: your net household income, the number and age of your children, the number of days required for care and the reason for care (ex: you have a job, you're seeking employment, you're attending school/approved training program, your child has an additional support need, you have a medical need.)

If I qualify for a full child care subsidy, does that mean my child care fees are completely subsidized by the government?

There is a $2 non-subsidized fee for each child, per day, that all families must pay, including those who receive a full child care subsidy.

For example, if you receive a full subsidy and you have one child that attends a licensed early learning and child care facility five times a week, your child care fee will be $2 per day for one child x 20 days in a month = $40 a month.

How can I apply for a child care subsidy?

You have two options for getting and submitting your subsidy application:


Please note that once you submit your application, you will not be able to edit or view it. To make a change to your application, contact the Child Care Subsidy Program.

If I forget my password, how do I get a new one?

You will need to re-register to get a new password. Please be aware that if you re-register, you need to choose a new username.

Can I get a child care subsidy from any child care centre or home in Manitoba?

To receive a subsidy, your child(ren) must be enrolled in a licensed centre or home. If the facility is not licensed, or does not take subsidized children, the subsidy application cannot be approved.

How long does it take to process my child care subsidy application?

During the regular business period (November – June), an application is generally reviewed and assessed in approximately one to two weeks. You will then be contacted by mail, phone or e-mail, depending on your preferred method of communication (selected in your application).

During the busy season (July – October), it may take between four to six weeks or more to process your application.

back to top

Can I be subsidized if my child attends a licensed centre or home part-time?

Yes, your family will be assessed and approved for the days the child attends a licensed facility.

Can I submit a child care subsidy application while I am on maternity/paternity leave?

You cannot qualify for a child care subsidy when you are on maternity/paternity leave, unless you have a medical reason for care.

If I have a question related to my subsidy, who do I contact?

If you qualify for a child care subsidy, a subsidy advisor assigned to you will contact you by your preferred method of communication, selected in your application.

My subsidy expires at the end of the month.  Can I get an extension for a couple of weeks?

You must re-apply for a child care subsidy by the expiry date.  However, if you have a reasonable explanation for the delay in submitting an application (ex: difficulty completing the application, being hospitalized), you should discuss the matter with your subsidy advisor who will determine whether you can get an extension.

Please note that subsidy advisors have limited ability to backdate the approval of a late application for subsidy. You should contact your subsidy advisor to discuss your options.

While I was employed, I received a child care subsidy. I am no longer working.  Will I still be eligible for a child care subsidy?

If you are no longer working, you should contact your subsidy advisor who will determine if you still have an eligible reason for child care (ex: education, medical condition.)

Can I receive a child care subsidy for the period between my subsidy expiring and the start of school/training? 

You may be eligible to receive a child care subsidy for a period of up to four weeks between the expiration of your subsidy and the start of post-secondary education. Please contact your subsidy advisor to discuss.

Who can I contact for more information about applying for a child care subsidy?

Child Care Subsidy Program
100-114 Garry Street
Winnipeg MB R3C 4V4
Phone: 204-945-8195 (in Winnipeg)
Fax: 204-948-2143

Hours:  Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. 

back to top

Child Care Fees

How much does licensed early learning and child care cost in Manitoba?

Click here to see the regulated maximum daily fees that licensed, funded early learning and child care facilities can charge parents for care. Please note that licensed facilities that are not funded by the Manitoba government can set their own fees.

How do I know if my licensed early learning and child care facility is funded or unfunded?

To find out if your licensed facility is funded or unfunded, and what fees a specific facility is allowed to charge, please visit Manitoba Child Care Search. This Website provides a listing of all licensed child care facilities in the province with an option to use search filters to narrow your results.