Office of the Manitoba Fairness Commissioner

For Internationally Educated Immigrants

Some professions are regulated in Manitoba. To practice a regulated profession, you must apply to register with a regulator. A regulator is an association or government body that assesses your education and experience, and decides if you are qualified to legally practice your profession in Manitoba.

The Office of the Manitoba Fairness Commissioner works only with regulated professions specified in the Fair Registration Practices in Regulated Professions Act. We work collaboratively with regulators to make sure internationally educated immigrants are treated fairly in the registration process.

The Office is not a regulator and, therefore, does not assess qualifications or help individual immigrants go through the registration process. It is not our mandate to work with individuals but we are working to change the system to help regulators and internationally educated immigrants alike. We hope our efforts have a direct and positive impact on your experience as you apply to register in your profession in Manitoba.

The Office has consulted with many internationally educated immigrants to build the processes and programs in place today. We value your perspective and will continue to ask for it to help regulators renew their registration practices.

If you are having a problem getting your qualifications recognized, visit for information on how to get help. Remember, the first step to having your qualifications recognized is to contact the regulator of your profession.

Top of page