Are you Eligible?

Before you can start receiving services, you must be eligible.

How Do I Know if I Am Eligible?

To be eligible for Community Living disABILITY Services, you must:

  • have significantly impaired intellectual functioning with impaired adaptive behaviour, existing prior to the age of 18
  • be 18 years of age or older
  • require assistance to meet your basic need with regard to personal care or management of your property
  • be a Canadian citizen or legally entitled to permanently live and work in Canada
  • be a person who normally makes your home in Manitoba, or are ordinarily present in Manitoba (resident of Manitoba). This does not include a student who is a resident of another province or country and studying in Manitoba, a transient, or a visitor to Manitoba.
  • have an established permanent residence off-reserve in Manitoba prior to referral or request for services, if you are of registered treaty status in Manitoba

If you apply for Community Living disABILITY Services and are not eligible, you can appeal that decision to the Social Services Appeal Board.

How Do I Apply?

You can apply to Community Living disABILITY Services by contacting an office close to your home. Your school, family, an agency, a doctor, or other person in your support network can also apply to the program for you with your consent.

Along with your application, the program will ask for a report that assesses your intellectual functioning and adaptive behaviour (how you complete everyday skills or tasks). This report can come from a registered psychologist or a school psychologist.