How To Apply for EIA


In order to follow public health recommendations on social distancing, Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) is taking steps to reduce the need for in-person office visits.

If you need to apply for EIA benefits, you may start your application process using the EIA Online Application Portal at https://forms.gov.mb.ca/PILOT/EIAApplication/

You will be contacted by an EIA staff at a telephone number that you give us to talk about your application and see if you are financially eligible for income assistance. 

If you cannot be reached by phone, please call us at 204-948-4000 (in Winnipeg) or 1-855-944-8111 to speak to someone about other ways to complete your application.

Common Case Management Forms:


If you are looking to apply for Employment Insurance (EI) from the Government of Canada, please go to: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei.html.

Who Can Apply for EIA?

All Manitobans can apply for EIA.

If you have no other way to support yourself or your family, you may be eligible for financial help for basic needs such as food, clothing and personal amounts, as well as coverage for essential health needs not provided through another program.

If you have shelter costs, your application with EIA will also be used to see if you are eligible for shelter-related financial supports available through Rent Assist.

If you are eligible for EIA and Rent Assist, you will receive a single monthly payment for both benefits.

If you are able to work, EIA will help you go back to work by providing supports to employment.

For more information on EIA eligibility and benefits that you may receive, please look at the EIA Brochures that best fits your household situation.

What Will I Need to do to Apply for EIA?

Before you fill out an application for EIA benefits, you may need to complete a pre-intake orientation (PIO). At your PIO, EIA staff will tell you about the EIA Program, your rights and responsibilities while on income assistance and go over all the information and documents you need to apply for EIA and Rent Assist.

To view the PIO presentation in advance of your PIO appointment, or to see what information and documents you need to bring to your intake appointment, you can click on the following:

Once you have completed the PIO, EIA staff will set up an intake appointment for you to complete an EIA application. 

If you have recently quit, were fired, or refused a job without a good reason, or just cause, your application for EIA may be affected. Please review the Reasons for Leaving or Refusing a Job brochure for more information on what you need to do if this situation applies to you.  

If you have an outstanding warrant for certain serious offences (see Schedule C of The Assistance Regulation for a list), your application for EIA may be affected. For more information, review the EIA Outstanding Warrants policy.

What Will Happen at my EIA Intake Appointment?

In order to see if you are eligible for EIA, there are some basic questions EIA staff will ask you about at your intake appointment:

    • you and your family’s situation
    • your housing
    • your income (money you earn or get from another source)
    • your assets (savings, investments, items of value)
    • your education, work status and history and your plans to find work
    • any medical conditions and health needs that may keep you from working  
    • any legal problems you have

The EIA Intake Information Checklist will help make sure that you bring the right information and documents to your intake appointment to answer these questions.

People who are married or live as common-law couples must apply for EIA together.

You can also see samples of the EIA Application Forms  that apply to you to find out about other questions you may be asked at your intake appointment.  However, you will still be required to complete a formal EIA Application Form at your intake appointment.

To get more information on how to apply for EIA , or make an intake appointment, call one of these numbers:

If you live in Winnipeg, call 204-948-4000
If you live outside Winnipeg, call toll free 1-855-944-8111
If you are deaf or hard-of-hearing, call 1-800-855-0511 (Manitoba Relay Service);

To find out where the EIA office that you need to go to is located, click on the following
If you live in Winnipeg
If you live outside of Winnipeg

After-hours emergency support may be available if you have a crisis that cannot wait until regular business hours. For emergency support, call 204-945-0183 in Winnipeg or toll free at 1-866-559-6778.