INVENTORY FILE NO.
NAME OF PROPERTY
Goodlands Mine Company
Coal of the Tertiary Turtle Mountain Formation was mined at the
Henderson Farm to be used as a source of local fuel. The workings of this mine
are in the floor of the ravine which traverses the property. The coal (lignite)
lies at depths varying from 1.5 m to 2.7 m below the surface. A section below
the overburden yields 15.2 cm of dark carbonaceous clay, followed by a 25.4 cm
to 30.4 cm seam of lignite. The lower two units in the section consist of a 15.2
cm to 30.4 cm unit of dark carbonaceous clay underlain by a 1.1 m seam of
Chemical Properties: A single analysis of coal from the Henderson
mine yielded: 35.45% moisture, 23.64% volatile matter, 32.58% fixed carbon,
8.33% ash, and 1.53% sulphur.
Physical Properties: B.T.U. per lb 6,750 (as
received), or 8,847 (air dried). The coal is non-coking, and is dark
Use: Was used as a local source of fuel.
MINERALS OR PRODUCTS OF VALUE
EXPLORATION AND DEVELOPMENT
The workings are located in the NW1/4 of Sec. 13, about 16 km south
and 3.2 km west of Deloraine on patented land.
1931: The operation commenced
on October 17. During the early stages of operation some lignite was produced
after stripping with teams and scrapers, in the floor of a shallow ravine,
having a northeast-southwest trend and draining to the southwest. Lignite was
first discovered under some 1.5 m of overburden, in the ravine. A small area was
then cleared of overburden which averaged 2.3 m in depth and lignite then taken
from the open-cut.
Later, lignite was mined underground from two entries,
152.4 m apart, driven into the northwest flank of the ravine. Good lump lignite
was obtained from the west working. A total of 998 tonnes of lignite was
produced between October 17, 1931 and March 1932. The operation was under the
direction of John Nestibo.
1932: In August the mine was taken over by George
Cain of Waskada. On August 13 he commenced stripping with a Hold 20 caterpillar
tractor and a Fresno scraper. Up to a maximum of 5.1 m of overburden wa removed
by this method and 1,090 tonnes of coal were mined and sold during the remainder
of the year.
1933 - 1934: As the production of coal serves the local market,
mining operations are restricted to the fall and winter months.
1935 - 1937:
The coal was mined by the pillar and stall method and recovered through a
slopping adit from the surface.
During 1937, 1,754 tonnes of coal were
1938 - 1939: 1,215 tonnes of lignite were moved.
In the summer
the mine was sold to Goodlands Mine Company, under the management of H.F.
The head frame, destroyed by fire, was rebuilt, the mine reopened
September 20, 1939 and operations continued on a small scale until April 20,
The pillar and stall method of working was continued, but owing to the
particularly mild winter and the consequent curtailment of local orders, work
was concentrated chiefly in driving a long entry to the west and winning stalls
to the south. A ventilation shaft was sunk near the western extremity of the
mine. A total of 1,077 tonnes was removed during the year.
1940: The pillar
and stall method of working was still used. The coal was hauled to the surface
by direct steam haulage through a sloping adit, and from the forces to the
bottom of the incline by hand tramming. Output during the current season was
curtailed to some extent by the relatively long tramming haul, though the main
entry was being driven to the westward for the purpose of opening a new haulage
adit on the west side of the property, where the greater part of the coal now
lies. A total of 1,539 tonnes of coal was produced in the calendar
1941: Operations were carried on through a sloping adit from the
surface, though underground tramming routes had increased to such an extent as
to require the use of a pony. Production was curtailed by the scarcity of
labour. A total of 1,119 tonnes of lignite were removed during the year.
- 1943: A total of 1,217 tonnes of coal was removed.
Because the extensive
haulage from the working face to the surface had exceeded its economic limit in
the producing mine, the management started a new mine in the spring of 1943.
Output was maintained until July, while the new mine was driven intermittently
as labour permitted. The new surface entry, located about 227 m southeast of the
former mine, was driven at a slope of 1 in 3, and cut the coal seam at a depth
of approximately 12.1 m vertically below the surface. A shortage of labour
caused the mine to cease operation in October. 906 tonnes of coal was
1931: The operation commenced on October 17, 1931 under the direction
of John Nestibo. Lignite was first discovered under some 1.5 m of overburden in
the ravine in the NW1/4 of sec. 13. A small are was cleared of overburden which
averaged 2.3 m in depth and lignite was removed from the open-cut. A total of
998 tonnes of lignite was removed.
1932: In August the operation was taken
over by George Cain of Waskada. The pillar and stall method of mining was used
to extract the coal. 1,090 tonnes of coal was removed.
1933 - 1939: As the
production of coal serves the local market mining operations were restricted to
the fall and winter months. Production ranged from 1,229 tonnes to 1,953 tonnes
during this period. The operation was sold to Goodlands Mine Company on
September 20, 1929.
1940: Output during the year was curtailed to some extent
by the relatively long tramming haul, though the main entry was being driven to
the westward for the purpose of opening a new haulage adit on the west side of
the property where the greater part of the coal now lies.
A total of 1,508
tonnes of coal was produced.
1941 - 1943: Production curtailed due to
scarcity of labour; coal removal ranged from 906 tonnes to 1,217 tonnes annually
during this period. The operation ceased in October 1943.
1996: The Henderson
Mine remains closed at this time.
Shipping Point: Henderson Farm
Material Shipped: Coal
Destination: Local market.
Annual Reports: 4th, pp. 32-33; 5th, p. 24; 6th, pp. 25-25; 7th, p.
35; 8th, p. 34; 9th, pp. 48-49; 10th, p. 53, 11th, pp. 46-47; 12th, pp. 42-43;
13th, p. 38; 14th, p. 32; 15th, p. 46; 16th, p. 37.
Summary of available data on lignite deposits, Turtle Mountain, Manitoba;
Manitoba Mineral Resources Division Economic Geological Report 77/1, pp. 5,
1949: Coal (Lignite) in Manitoba; Unpublished report
Manitoba Mines Branch.
1971: The Saga of Turtle Mountain
Coal; 129p., D.W. Friesen & Sons Ltd., Altona, pp. 99-108.
Minerals Geologist Files, Manitoba Mineral Resource Division.
Map 62 F/2, Waskada, (Topography), Sc. 1:50 000, Surveys & Mapping
Fig. 2a, Location of former lignite operations at Turtle
Mountain, Sc. 1:42 240, in Bannatyne, 1978, p. 5.
Map 12, Industrial Minerals
Producers (Index), Sc. 1:1 000 000, Manitoba Mineral Resources Division.
See M.I. Card 62 F/2 - COL 4 for information on the Salter Farm mine
which located on l.s. 15-13-1-24W. This operation was under the direction of
John Nesbito from 1932 until 1938.
Powered by DB/Text WebPublisher