Other Government Support

Employment Standards legislation does not cover all issues in the workplace. Employers and employees often ask questions better answered by another government agency or department.  

Who do employers and employees contact with concerns about safety in the workplace?

Workplace Safety and Health is responsible for protecting the health and safety of workers on the job.

Workplace Safety and Health focuses on preventing workplace and public hazards through education, training, working with employers and employees, and inspections and investigations. 

Workplace Safety and Health
200-401 York Avenue
Winnipeg, MB  R3C 0P8
Phone: 204-945-3446
Toll free 1-800-282-8069

Who do employers or employees contact when someone is hurt at work?

Whenever necessary, appropriate medical attention should be called for immediately. The injury should also be reported to the Workers Compensation Board (WCB).  The WCB is an insurance program paid for by employers that provides benefits for workplace injuries or illnesses.
The Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba
333 Broadway
Winnipeg, MB  R3C 4W3
Phone: 204-954-4321
Toll free in Canada 1-800 362-3340

Who do employees contact for help to appeal a decision by the Workers Compensation Board?

The Worker Advisor Office provides free, confidential advice, help, and in some cases, representation to workers and/or their dependants who have claims with the Workers Compensation Board.  The Worker Advisor Office is not part of WCB.

Worker Advisor Office
Room 406 - 401 York Avenue
Winnipeg,  MB R3C 0P8
Phone: 204-945-5787
Toll free in Manitoba 1-800-282-8069

Who do employers or employees contact with questions about discrimination or human rights?

The Manitoba Human Rights Commission protects people in Manitoba from discrimination in various areas, including the workplace.  The Human Rights Code has regulations that prevent people from being discriminated against on the basis of certain characteristics, including family status, source of income, sexual orientation, race, gender, age, disability, or religion.

Manitoba Human Rights Commission
7th Floor-175 Hargrave Street
Winnipeg, MB  R3C 3R8
Phone: 204-945-3007
Toll free 1-888-884-8681

Who do employers or employees contact about collective bargaining, unfair labour practices or lack of union representation?

The Manitoba Labour Board settles labour relations disputes between employers, employees and unions, helping them communicate and work toward agreement. The board is also the final level of appeal for decisions made by Employment Standards. The board tries to mediate disputes, but also has a formal process similar to a court, where it hears arguments from the employers, employees, or unions. Generally, the board’s decision is the final level of appeal.

Manitoba Labour Board
500 - 175 Hargrave Street
Winnipeg, Manitoba   R3C 3R8
Phone: 204-945-3783

Who do employers and employees working under federal jurisdiction contact about employment standards?

There are some workplaces that fall under the jurisdiction of the federal government. For more information see the Who is Covered by Employment Standards page. Federal employment standards legislation is enforced by the Canada Labour Program.

Canada Labour Program
Phone: 204-983-6375
Toll free 1-800-641-4049

Who do employers and employees contact about employment insurance and records of employment?

Employment Insurance (EI) provides temporary financial assistance to unemployed Canadians while they look for work or upgrade their skills. EI benefits may also be available to Canadians who are sick, pregnant, or caring for a newborn or adopted child, as well as those who must care for a family member who is seriously ill with a significant risk of death. 

For information about records of employment or EI benefits, contact:

Employment Insurance
Unit 122, 393 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 3H6
Toll free: 1-800-206-7218

Who do employees contact about immigrating to Manitoba to work and live?

Manitoba Immigration has information about applying to work and live in Manitoba and about free services available to newcomers after they arrive, to help adjust, improve English language skills, and find a job.

Manitoba Immigration
213 Notre Dame Avenue
Winnipeg, MB R3B 1N3

Who do employees contact when their employer files bankruptcy?

The Government of Canada created the Wage Earner Protection Program for employees who have been terminated because their employer is bankrupt or in receivership.  This program provides eligible employees with benefits under Service Canada’s Employment Insurance Program.

Service Canada
393 Portage Avenue, Unit 122
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3H6
Phone: 1-866-683-6516
Or to find a Service Canada office close to you visit:

For more information contact Employment Standards:

Phone:     204-945-3352 or toll free in Canada 1-800-821-4307

Fax:           204-948-3046


This is a general overview and the information used is subject to change. For detailed information, please refer to current legislation including The Employment Standards Code, The Construction Industry Wages Act , The Worker Recruitment and Protection Act, or contact Employment Standards.

Available in alternate formats
upon request.


Date Published: April 14, 2020