Municipal Relations

Strategic Municipal Investment Fund

 
The Government of Manitoba continues to provide comprehensive funding support to the City of Winnipeg and other municipalities across Manitoba, to support key services, core programs, and priority capital projects through the Strategic Municipal Investment Fund, Manitoba’s basket funding model.  
 

2022-23 Strategic Municipal Investment Fund

City of Winnipeg

Municipal Operating – A total of $121.2M of unconditional operating funding is provided to the City of Winnipeg to support the delivery of core municipal programs and services. 75 percent of this funding is released in May, and the remaining 25 percent provided in September.
 
Strategic Infrastructure – A total of $75.3M of conditional capital funding is provided to support key strategic capital priorities identified by the City of Winnipeg for Manitoba's consideration. This funding represents 55 percent of the total amount of capital funding available to all Manitoba municipalities. Funding is allocated towards projects that align with Manitoba's definition of strategic infrastructure, which includes water and wastewater treatment plants, solid waste facilities, public transit, roads and bridges, and recreation projects. The capital basket provided to Winnipeg is inclusive of all existing and new projects, including those supported under federal-provincial agreements such as the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program.
 

Other Municipalities

Municipal Operating – Up to $50.8M of operating funding is provided to other municipalities outside the City of Winnipeg to support the delivery of core municipal programs and services. 75 percent of the unconditional operating grant is released in May, and the remaining 25 percent provided in September of each year.
 
Overall operating funding also includes up to $1.7M for rural handi-transit services provided through Mobility Disadvantaged Transportation Program.
 
Strategic Infrastructure – A total of $61.7M of conditional capital funding is provided to support key strategic capital priorities in rural municipalities. This funding represents 45 percent of the total amount of capital funding provided to all Manitoba municipalities. Funding is allocated towards projects that align with Manitoba's definition of strategic infrastructure, which includes water and wastewater treatment plants, solid waste facilities, public transit, roads and bridges, and recreation projects. Rural Strategic Infrastructure funding includes:
  • $20M to support safe and sustainable water and/or sewage treatment facilities, administered by the Manitoba Water Services Branch.
  • Support for various infrastructure projects supported by federal-provincial agreements including the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program.
  • Support for other provincial-municipal capital priorities identified by the Department of Municipal Relations in consultation with the Association of Manitoba Municipalities.