Municipal and Northern Relations

Rural Water Development Program

Trencher Installs Pipeline
Trencher installs pipeline

Rural Water Development Program Brochure (362 KB)
Although Manitoba is blessed with an abundance of fresh water supplies, most of the agricultural areas are susceptible to periodic drought. The Rural Water Development Program was initiated as a co-operative venture between The Manitoba Water Services Board (MWSB) and Federal Agriculture and Agri-Food, during the droughts of the 1980’s.
Regional water systems, with rural water pipelines, offer a safe, cost effective solution drought proofing agro-Manitoba. The rural water systems provide potable water to farmers, rural residents and small communities, to meet their domestic and livestock needs.

Technical Support

The Manitoba Water Services Board provides:
  • Cost estimates
  • Engineering design
  • Project management
  • Construction supervision
  • Technical support for testing and system start-up
top of page

Financial Assistance

The Manitoba Water Services Board
The Manitoba Water Services Board provides project management for all of the rural water pipeline projects. Project management includes groundwater investigation, Environment Act proposals, detailed design, construction, post construction warranty service and operational assistance. MWSB provides 1/3rd assistance and the remaining 2/3rd is generally shared between the local municipality and federal government.
top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

The Manitoba Water Services Board assists farmers & rural residents to install pipelines throughout Rural Manitoba under the Rural Water Development Program. It is estimated that nearly 400 km of pipelines are installed yearly. The following are a number of the most commonly asked questions and answers about rural water pipelines.
  1. How do I start the process to get a new Rural Water Pipeline in my area?
    Approach your local municipal council. The Municipality must send a resolution requesting technical & financial assistance from MWSB.

  2. What are the steps to a Rural Water Pipeline project?
    The typical process toward installation of a Rural Water Pipeline:
    1. Municipality sends resolution to MWSB.
    2. Public survey completed to determine water demand and interest.
    3. Preliminary water source investigation carried out.
    4. Conceptual plan and estimate completed.
    5. Meeting with Municipality and public to discuss project costs.
    6. Subject to acceptance for assistance by MWSB, the Municipality develops borrowing by-laws.
    7. Municipality collects deposits to confirm commitment to project.
    8. Municipality enters into an agreement with MWSB.
    9. Project tendered and constructed.
    10. Ownership, operation and maintenance is the Municipality’s responsibility after the warranty period. Municipalities may request MWSB to operate the system.

  3. How are costs of construction shared on a new Rural Water Pipeline?
    MWSB provides 1/3rd of the Project Costs (grants). The remaining 2/3rd is generally shared between the local municipality and federal government. The project approval is dependent on availability of funding, obtaining all Environmental reviews and is subject to change.

  4. Who can apply to connect to a pipeline?
    Rural residents must apply to their Municipal Council to connect/develop to rural water pipelines. The Municipalities, in turn, by resolution, apply to MWSB.  

  5. How long does it take to get a Rural Water Pipeline in operation?
    Many factors affect the project development, such as water source development and licensing, environmental assessment, public consultation reviews and the availability of funds. Typically, this could take two to five years to develop.

  6. What will the service connection fee be?
    The service connection fee will vary according to availability of funding and project cost. The average connection fee ranges from $10,000 to $25,000. More connections reduce the connection fee.

  7. What are my options of paying for the connection fee?
    Payment of the connection fee is usually made by cash, municipal taxes or combination of the two.

  8. Can I connect to a pipeline after it is operational?
    Connections can be done after initial construction, with approval from the Municipality. The cost will be greater than the original connection fee charged during the initial construction.

  9. What will the water cost?
    Water rates will vary, depending on the type of treatment and the amount of water produced.

  10. What quality of water should I expect?
    The quality of water from a Rural Water Pipeline will meet the Canadian Drinking Water Quality guidelines for human consumption. All rural water pipelines are licensed and monitored in accordance with regulations under Manitoba’s Safe Drinking Water Act.

  11. What pressure should be supplied?
    The rural water pipeline is designed to provide pressure within the range of 35 – 75 psi. Water system demand at various times will affect the actual pressure supplied.

  12. What volume of water should I expect?
    The volume of water supplied will depend on the size of service line installed. An example of a typical residential connection is 4 gallons per minute and a livestock connection up to 10 gallons per minute. Additional service connection surcharge is applied for higher volume connections.

  13. I have two farms. Can I have more than one connection to the Rural Water Pipeline?
    More than one connection can be provided to a resident with prior approval from the Municipality. Each separate and metered connection will be at full cost.

  14. Can I connect into my existing service line to avoid tearing up my yard?
    No. It is recommended that the new line and meter package be installed into the house. The option of directional boring the line into the house is available at an extra cost to reduce the “tearing up” of yards. If the owner insists on connecting to the existing service line, a release form is signed. The owner then takes responsibility to fix leaks, breaks and pays for lost water.

  15. Can I supply livestock from the pipeline?
    Yes. Rural Water Pipelines are sized to provide livestock needs.

  16. Do I need to install a reservoir (cistern)?
    A reservoir (cistern) is highly recommended when the peak demand of a livestock operation will be greater than the capacity of the service connection. Reservoir will reduce excess demand on the pipeline and ensure constant supply to all users.

  17. Can I continue to use my existing water system? Can I use both my own water system and the pipeline to supply my operation?
    Yes, provided there is no cross connection between the two systems.
top of page

How to Apply

For further information contact:
The Manitoba Water Services Board
Unit 1A - 2010 Currie Boulevard
Brandon, Manitoba
R7B 4E7
Phone: (204) 726-6076
Fax: (204) 726-7196
top of page