Printer Friendly

Wildlife Branch


Exotic Cervids and Wild Boar

Producer Requirements

The Wildlife Farm Licence can be purchased from Manitoba SD's Wildlife Branch for a fee of $110.00. This licence must be renewed every three years.

Those individuals possessing exotic cervids or wild boar must apply for a Wildlife Farm Licence.

Examples of exotic cervids are:

  • Sitka deer
  • Roe deer
  • Fallow deer
  • Père David's deer

If a producer is not sure of the requirements for a specific exotic species, please contact Manitoba SD, Wildlife Branch.

Permanent Animal Identification (PAI)

All animals must be permanently numbered with a unique identifier that can be traced back to the owner of the animal. PAIs must be approved by the Director of Wildlife Branch.

Examples of PAI:

  • Implants
  • Branding
  • Tattoo
  • Ear tags
  • Nose ring - for wild boar only


The holder of the licence must submit an annual report to the Director of Wildlife Branch which includes:

  • The unique PAI, type of PAI and location of the PAI on the animal.
  • The licence holder must submit annually, a report giving;
  • An inventory that lists the age, sex, identification numbers and origin of any exotic wildlife added to the collection and, if removed from inventory, the reason. If no changes occur, then a nil report must be submitted.
  • A summary of the occurrences during the year, e.g. births, escapes, recaptures, releases, occurrences of disease or parasites requiring treatment of the exotic animals that are in possession.
  • The date an animal was tested for a disease during the reporting period and the result of the test.

Mandatory Disease and Parasite Testing

Every exotic cervid held under the authority of a licence must:

  • Have the animal(s) tested every five years for bovine TB.
  • If the animal(s) dies or is killed, it must be tested post-mortem for CWD. Fresh or frozen samples (heads) from the animals can be delivered for testing to MAFRI Veterinary Services Laboratory, 545 University Crescent, University of Manitoba Campus, Winnipeg, Manitoba.
  • Results of all tests must be sent to the Director of Wildlife Branch.

Further testing may be required for exotic cervids held under the authority of a licence for:

  • Parelaphostrongylus tenuis for all exotic cervids
  • Elaphostrongylus cervi - reindeer only

The licence holder is responsible for all costs associated with disease and parasite testing.

Reporting Test Results

When tests are conducted:

  • All test results must be reported annually for animals tested in the year.
  • If a positive test is encountered, it must be reported immediately.
  • The Director of Wildlife Branch will do one or more of the following for a positive test result:
    • Seize and detain the animal(s)
    • Quarantine, or
    • Destroy the animal(s)

Escaped Animals

If an animal escapes:

  • The licence holder must immediately notify the Director of Wildlife Branch and the local SD Officer.
  • The licence holder shall immediately take appropriate action to recapture the animal.
  • The licence holder must take all steps to prevent further escapes.
  • If the licence holder fails to immediately take appropriate steps to recapture the animal or is not successful in recapturing the animal, Manitoba SD may;
    • Undertake recapture at the expense of the licence holder.
    • Order its destruction without the Government of Manitoba incurring any liability.

Note: Failure to submit the mandatory reports, test results or notification of escaped animal(s) will result in the cancellation of the Wildlife Farm Licence and the licence holder will have to renew their licence at a cost of $110.00.

Movement of Exotic Cervids

Producers cannot import exotic cervids from other provinces, states or countries. Producers can export exotic cervids and wild boar from Manitoba without an export permit issued by Manitoba SD. A Cervidae Movement Permit, issued by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA), is required by anyone moving cervids in Canada.