Aquatic Invasive Species

Aquatic Invasive Species Banner

Traveling with a watercraft?

Most Canadian provinces, territories and United States have AIS legislation and regulations. However, they may differ between jurisdictions. Manitobans planning to use watercraft outside of the province are advised to check the AIS legislation and regulations of their destinations, and any jurisdictions through which you may be traveling.

Checking in advance will help you avoid potential travel disruptions and fines.

Pulling the plugs on the watercraft when traveling overland, and removal of all water and aquatic plants from the watercraft are the minimum rules in neighbouring jurisdictions. However, it is your responsibility to find out if there are additional requirements to ensure compliance with provincial, territorial and state laws.

Mandatory watercraft inspections may be required. Inspections can occur at international, provincial and state border crossings, on highways, and at boat launches. If you are not in compliance you may be denied launch, or in some jurisdictions have your watercraft quarantined for up to 30 days. When transporting your watercraft, prepare to be inspected and plan your travels accordingly.

When traveling overland across the Canada / U.S. border, it is illegal to import zebra mussels, quagga mussels or invasive carp (grass, big head, silver or black carp) into Canada. If your watercraft and equipment are not free of these AIS, your watercraft and equipment can be denied entry into Canada. For more information, click here

For AIS regulations in neighbouring provinces, territories and states, visit the following sites:


British Columbia


North Dakota
South Dakota