Milestones: History of Selkirk Mental Health Centre

1871 The Dominion Government establishes the Manitoba Penitentiary at Lower Fort Garry.  An old warehouse houses the mentally ill
1877 Mentally ill are transferred to Stony Mountain Penitentiary
1885 Mentally ill are transferred back to Lower Fort Garry
1886 May 25 "Manitoba Asylum" opened at Selkirk. Built with a capacity of 167; 59 people are transferred from Lower Fort Garry.  Dr. David Young is the first Medical Superintendent (June 1, 1884 - March 1, 1912).  Miss Euphemia McBride the first Matron
1900 An extension is built on to the Asylum
1910 Name changed to "Selkirk Insane Hospital"
1911 Another extension is built on to the Hospital
1919 Name changed to "Selkirk Hospital for Mental Diseases"
1920 Dr. Charles Barnes & Associates organize a Training Program for Psychiatric Nurses
1923 Reception Unit opened
1924 First graduating class of the School of Nursing
1926 Nurses Residence opened.  Eight foot high fence surrounding Hospital taken down
1931 "North Unit" G-H (B-Unit) opened
1930s Insulin Coma Treatment
1940s Electric Shock Treatment
1953 Infirmary Unit opened
1954 By 1954, 258 Leucotomies had been performed
1957 Patient Population 1200
1961 Community Clinic in Selkirk
1962 Community Clinic in Beausejour
1963 Community Clinic in Gimli
1964 Selkirk Psychiatric Institute (S.P.I.) opened
1964 Community Clinic in Stonewall
1966 Community Clinic in Pinawa
1970 Adolescent Treatment Ward opens.
1970s Mobile Clinic servicing The Pas, Flin Flon, Leaf Rapids, Snow Lake, Thompson
1972 B-Unit, Adolescent Treatment Ward closes
1973 Name changed to "Selkirk Mental Health Centre"
1978 "Main Building" (a.k.a "Manitoba Asylum") demolished
1992 School of Psychiatric Nursing closes
1993 Implementation of Program Management Model
1998 Forensic Unit Opens; SMHC population 269 patients
2006 Sod turning for new Tyndall Building
2008 Tyndall Building opened, new Acquired Brain Injury Program started
2010 Acquired Brain Injury – Transitional Residence opened


The changes in the name from "Gaol" to "Manitoba Insane Asylum", to "Hospital for the Insane", to "Mental Hospital", to "Mental Health Centre" reflect the changes in attitude, philosophy and function and mark the course of progress in the care and treatment of the mentally ill.