Reasons for Leaving or Refusing a Job

Am I eligible for Employment and Income Assistance (EIA) benefits if I quit, get fired or turn down a job?

All Manitobans can apply for EIA. However, your eligibility for EIA benefits may be affected if you don’t have just cause for leaving or refusing a job. Just cause means you have a good reason for leaving or refusing a job.

Examples that may be just cause for not working:

Someone in your immediate family (ex: spouse, parent, child) needs you to take care of them.


  • Ask friends or family for help.
  • Contact the Home Care Program or Early Learning and Child Care (ELCC) Program. See Contact Information.

Your boss has changed your hours of work, or the place you’re supposed to work. You need to find someone else to look after your children, or it will take too long to get to the new work place.


  • Talk to your boss about changing your new hours.
  • See if you can afford to move closer to the work place.
  • Contact ELCC to see if they can help you with child care. See Contact Information.

Your pay is below minimum wage, or you are asked to work too much overtime.


  • Talk to your boss, human resources or your union about changes.
  • Contact Employment Standards to find out your legal rights. See Contact Information.

Some part of the job goes against your religious beliefs, values or work ethics.


  • Talk to your boss, human resources or your union about changes.
  • Contact the Manitoba Human Rights Commission to find out your rights. See Contact Information.

You get fired, or can’t do your job because of poor health or you’re afraid for your safety.


  • Talk to your boss, human resources or your union about changes.
  • Contact Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health and talk to them about your safety concerns. See Contact Information.

You are being bullied, treated with disrespect, or discriminated against in your workplace.


  • Talk to your boss, human resources or your union about changes.
  • Contact the Manitoba Human Rights Commission to find out your rights. See Contact Information.

What do I do if I leave a job?

You must give EIA a copy of your Record of Employment (ROE) from the last job that you had in the six months before applying for EIA. EIA also needs a copy of your ROE if you leave a job while receiving benefits.

Talk to EIA staff about your reasons for leaving or refusing a job, because every situation is different.

How do I show EIA that I left my job for just cause?

You tell EIA staff exactly what happened and how you tried to fix the situation. EIA may contact your employer for more information.

What if I am fired for doing something wrong, or I don’t have just cause for leaving or refusing a job?

Your benefits won’t be affected if:

  • you are a single parent with at least one child under age six
  • you have a disability
  • you left a job more than six months before you applied for EIA

Your benefits may be affected if:

  • you have dependent children who are over age six (benefits may be reduced)
  • you don’t have any dependent children (may not be eligible for benefits)

EIA will talk to you (and maybe your employer) and make the final decision on your benefits.

Can I appeal a decision by EIA?

If your benefits are reduced, or denied, EIA will send you a letter telling you why. The letter will also tell you that you can appeal the decision to the Social Services Appeal Board (SSAB). The appeal must be made within 30 days of receiving the letter.

Social Services Appeal Board
175 Hargrave Street, 7th Floor
Winnipeg MB R3C 3R8
Phone: 204-945-3003 (in Winnipeg)
Toll free: 1-800-282-8069

Can I apply for or receive EIA benefits again?

You may apply for or receive benefits again, if you:

  • show EIA staff you have looked for work
  • show EIA staff you have tried to improve your job skills, since you left your last job
  • meet all other EIA eligibility criteria

If not, EIA can help you prepare a short-term action plan. The short-term action plan will list things you can complete in three or four days, such as:

  • visit Employment Manitoba
  • call/visit job centres and temporary work (temp) agencies
  • look into training programs on how to search for a job
  • visit the Job Centre (in Winnipeg)
  • apply for work and hand in a completed job search form

You will not be eligible for EIA benefits while you work on your short-term action plan.

Once you have completed your short-term action plan you may be eligible for EIA benefits or get your benefits restored. EIA will then help you write a longterm action plan on your job goals. You must agree to work on this plan and sign it.

If you have any questions, talk to EIA staff:

Phone 204-948-4000 (in Winnipeg);

toll free 1-855-944-8111 or

go to the website: Winnipeg

Outside Winnipeg

Contact Information

Child Care

Early Learning and Child Care Program
Child Care Information Services:
Phone: 204-945-0776 (in Winnipeg)
Toll free: 1-888-213-4754

Subsidy Information Services
Phone: 204-945-8195 (in Winnipeg)
Toll free: 1-877-587-6224

Online Child Care Registry


Employment Manitoba
Phone: 204-945-0575 (in Winnipeg)
Toll free: 1-866-332-5077 (in Manitoba)
Website: www.gov.mb.ca/employment/index.html

Employment Standards and Human Rights

Employment Standards
Phone: 204-945-3352 (in Winnipeg)
Toll free: 1-800-821-4307 (in Manitoba)
Website: www.gov.mb.ca/labour/standards/  

The Manitoba Human Rights Commission
Phone: 204-945-3007 (in Winnipeg)
Website: www.gov.mb.ca/hrc/

Home Care
For Winnipeg, phone 204-926-7000.
For Manitoba-wide contact information please see:
Website: www.gov.mb.ca/health/homecare/

Safety and Health

Workplace Safety and Health
Phone: 204-957-SAFE (7233) (in Winnipeg);
toll free 1-866-888-8186 (in Manitoba)
After hours: 1-204-945-0581 (in Winnipeg)
Website: www.gov.mb.ca/labour/safety