International Students

Visa Process

While general information is provided below, it is your responsibility to contact the appropriate Canadian Government office to ensure that you obtain and complete all the necessary documentation (

Depending on your country of origin and the type and length of study, you may require:

  • A temporary resident visa
  • A study permit
  • Both a study permit and a temporary resident visa

Study programs up to six months do not require a study permit. Programs longer than six months require a study permit.

Note: The need for a temporary resident visa depends on your country of origin. Please click here to obtain the list of countries that require temporary resident visas.

In terms of obtaining a study permit the following provides general information only.

  1. Study permit applications can be obtained through the Canadian Embassy, Consulate, High Commission or Canadian Education Centre that serves your country. Check their websites for detailed information on applying to study in Canada. A list of Canadian representatives overseas can be found here.
  2. Compile the necessary documentation: proof of identity; proof of financial support (evidence that you have adequate funds to cover tuition fees, living expenses and return transportation costs); proof of acceptance by an approved educational institution; and proof of custodianship (if you are less than 18 years of age). A medical examination is also required for the countries outlined in the following link.
  3. Once you have completed the application forms and compiled all the necessary documentation, submit the application package and the required fees to the appropriate visa/consular office. Remember it is your responsibility to obtain the appropriate visa before entering Canada.

Top of page