Private Advertising Signs on Provincial Highways

Manitoba Infrastructure (MI) does not normally allow private advertising signs on the Right of Way (ROW) of provincial highways and roads.

MI's roadside private advertising sign strategy was developed for the following reasons:

  • prevent driver distraction by signs
  • avoid conflicts with required roadway signs, such as speed limit cautionary or construction signs
  • avoid conflicts with MI's ROW maintenance such as mowing
  • reduce the risk to vehicle occupants if a vehicle leaves the roadway
  • provide a fair, consistent standard for roadside signs across the province

Private advertising signs may be allowed outside the highway ROW if a permit is obtained from Manitoba Infrastructure or the Highway Traffic Board (HTB).

The permit process ensures that the signs are at a safe distance from the roadway and that the sign follows set standards, such as spacing between signs and general information guidelines.

To apply for a private advertising sign on a Provincial Road (PR), please contact Manitoba Infrastructure - Highway Planning and Design Branch at 204-945-3457. To apply for a private advertising sign permit on a Provincial Trunk Highway (PTH) please contact the Highway Traffic Board at 204-945-8912.

The Highways and Transportation Act (PDF, 52 KB) states that signs that are placed on ROW or without a permit can be removed by Manitoba Infrastructure staff.

  • Sign owners are advised that they must remove their sign at their own cost within at least 14 days.
  • After the 14 day grace period, MI staff remove the illegal signs. The signs are placed in storage and owners can retrieve them within 31 days, if they pay a $600 fee.
  • After the 31 day holding period, signs are disposed of by MI staff.

For more information contact your local MI Regional Operations office or the Highway Traffic Board or visit: