Mobile Version |

Consumer Protection

Set text to smallest size Set text to normal size Set text to larger size Set text to largest size

Tips for Reducing the Risk of Identity Theft

Part 4: Key Government Documents: Contact Information

If your government-issued documents are lost or stolen, it is important to report them right away to the issuing authority, so that they can be cancelled and you can apply to have new documents issued.

Federal Government

Key documents issued by the federal government include your Social Insurance Card, Passport, Citizenship and Immigration Documents and the Certificate of Indian Status.

For information on Government of Canada programs and services:

  • Call: 1-800-O-Canada (1-800-622-6232)
  • If you use a TTY call: 1-800-465-7735
  • Visit: Government of Canada

Privacy Commissioner of Canada

Social Insurance Card
Service Canada

Permanent Resident Card
Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Citizenship Certificate
Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Passport Office (Government of Canada)

Manitoba Legislation

Correcting information held at a credit reporting agency (credit bureau)

If you find information in your credit report or file that you disagree with, you have a right under The Personal Investigations Act to protest the information. If you believe an item in your credit report or file is incorrect, write to the credit reporting agency explaining why. The agency must then check the accuracy of the information and if it is incorrect, remove it from your record. If the agency corrects, adds or deletes information following your complaint, it must tell you and everyone who received your report within the past 60 days.

If you encounter a problem in having your information corrected, contact the Consumer Protection Office as shown below.

Lost or stolen credit cards

Manitoba's Consumer Protection Act says that you are only liable for the first $50 if your credit card has been lost or stolen or if a debt has been incurred through unauthorized use of your credit card information. You must notify the credit card issuer as soon as you know the card is missing or as soon as you identify transactions on your statement that you have not authorized.

Protect your credit card PIN. If the lost or stolen credit card is used at an automated banking machine that requires a PIN number to work, you may be liable for losses.

For more information, contact the Consumer Protection Office as shown below.

Manitoba Contacts

Lost birth certificate
Vital Statistics Agency

Lost driver's licence
Manitoba Public Insurance

  • To replace a lost, stolen or destroyed driver's licence, you need to contact a driver licencing service outlet near you.
  • Telephone: 1-204-985-1100
  • Toll-free in Manitoba: 1-866-323-0544
  • Website: Manitoba Public Insurance

Consumer Protection Office
Tourism, Culture, Heritage, Sport and Consumer Protection
Consumer Protection Office

  • Contact the Consumer Protection Office for additional information about identity theft or assistance in resolving complaints about your credit report or liability on a lost or stolen credit card.
  • Telephone: 204-945-3800
  • Toll-free in Manitoba: 1-800-782-0067
  • E-mail:
  • Website: Consumer Protection Office

Victims of Identity Theft

If you have been the victim of identity theft, additional information is available at Consumer Measures Committee – Identity Theft Working Group.

Start with the document titled "Identity Theft – What to do if it happens to you" and then complete the Identity Theft Statement to send to financial institutions, credit card issuers and others.

The Consumer Measures Committee (CMC), which has a representative from the federal government and every province and territory, provides a forum for national cooperation to improve the marketplace for Canadian consumers by harmonizing laws and providing information.