Historic Resources Branch
War Memorials in Manitoba: An Artistic Legacy
War Memorials in Manitoba. An Artistic Legacy has been developed to coincide with the 100th anniversary of World War I. This review of Manitoba’s collection of war memorials will allow readers and visitors to explore more than 200 sites, armed with background information on historical precedents and information on artistic and aesthetic qualities.
The study is presented in the following formats:
- Cover and Preface (PDF)
- Introduction (PDF)
- A Brief History of War Memorial Design (PDF)
- The Making of a Memorial (PDF)
- Guide to Manitoba Memorial Types (PDF)
- Local World War I Stories (PDF)
- Learning Materials (PDF)
- Sources (PDF)
- 1996 Inventory (A-K) (PDF)
- 1996 Inventory (L-W) (PDF)
- 1996 Inventory (Winnipeg) (PDF)
The Manitou Cenotaph was dedicated in 1921.
The memorial is a Municipal Heritage Site.