Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 111

Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church
408 Main Street
Langruth

Herdukried Lutheran Church

Designation Date: March 14, 1994
Designation Authority: Lakeview (R.M.)
Present Owner: Trustees of the Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church of Langruth

Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church, established by a long-standing Icelandic congregation, is a fine example of the economy, simplicity and commitment that pioneer communities brought to the development of local worship facilities in the early 1900s. The wooden structure, prominent on its corner site in Langruth, is straightforward in its design, massing and appointments, but not without elements of distinction, including a crenellated tower, Gothic Revival detailing and well-crafted interior woodwork. Construction of a permanent building where services could be conducted in Icelandic was a seminal achievement for the Herdubried Lutheran Congregation, formed in 1906 and for many years served by itinerant ministers from other communities. A mix of paid and volunteer workers erected the structure, while locals contributed fittings, including an elegant platform enclosure built by master cabinetmaker Carl Lindal. Expanded and renamed in the 1960s, this stalwart church remains active today, attended by a largely English-speaking membership.

Return to list by Site Name or by Area