Manitoba Municipal Heritage Site No. 202

 
 

British Commonwealth Air Training Plan Hangar
S1/2 12-11-19W
Brandon area

British Commonwealth Air Training Plan Hangar

Designation Date: August 28, 2000
Designation Authority: City of Brandon
Present Owner: City of Brandon

This museum building is Canada's only facility dedicated to preserving the history and artifacts of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP) of 1939–1945. That plan was instituted on 17 December 1939, shortly after the beginning of World War II, and over the course of six years would see the training of all Commonwealth air crews. More than 60 facilities were built across Canada, 18 in Manitoba. The Brandon facility, which included five hangars, was constructed between 1940 and 1941. In 1984 the old hangar was converted to a museum, and eventually came to house more than a dozen aircraft, vehicles and artifacts.

Return to list by Site Name or by Area