Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

Asessippi Townsite

 Asessippi Townsite-plaq0046
(David McDowell Collection)

Installed 1974
PTH 83
23 kilometres north of Russell

In 1882, with the hope of an early railway connection and with a federal land grant, the Shell River Colonization Co. founded the village of Asessippi.  A dam, a roller process grist mill, a saw mill, a shingle factory, a brick works and a cheese factory were all built at this site.

Some 50 Ontario Settlers had homesteaded here by 1883 but the railway did not arrive. Lacking access to a larger market, the local industries failed and in 1888 the Government of Canada revoked the Company's charter.