Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

 

Pilot Mound

 Pilot Mound - plaq0923

Installed 1962
PTH 34
Pilot Mound

The hill from which the town of Pilot Mound takes its name is a bedrock ridge streamlined by glacial action.  Archaeological excavations in 1908 showed an artificial mound on top of the hill to have been a burial place for late prehistoric Indians. Within recorded time, the hill was a gathering place for buffalo hunters and for Indians who held ceremonial dances there and named it "Little Dance Hill". A local legend, recorded by settlers about 1878, states that in the 1850's the Sioux were defeated by Red River buffalo hunters in a skirmish near the hill.