Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

 

St. Anne's Church

 St. Anne's Church - plaq1127

Installed 1959
off PTH 26
5 km west of Poplar Point

St. Anne's completed in 1864, is one of the oldest log churches in continuous use in Western Canada. Built through the efforts of Archdeacon Cockran, founder of the Church of England Missions in the Assiniboine Valley, its first incumbent was Rev. John Chapman. Before St. Anne's was built settlers who had migrated from the parishes of St. Andrews, St. Paul's and St. James' on the Red and lower Assiniboine rivers worshipped in Portage la Prairie or in farm houses in this district.