Manitoba Heritage Council Commemorative Plaques

 

St. Peter Dynevor Anglican Church
River Lot 212, St. Peter Parish, Stone Church Road,
R.M. of St. Clements

 St. Peter’s Dynevor Anglican Church

Designation Date: August 14, 1963
Designation Authority: Honourable Maitland B. Steinkopf,
Minister charged with the administration of "The Historic Sites Preservation Act"
Present Owner: The Anglican Church of Canada, Parish of St. Peter Dynevor,
within the Diocese of Rupert’s Land

This church was built in 1853 under the personal direction of Archdeacon William Cockran. The foundation stone was laid May 23 by Bishop David Anderson, who gave the church its name. It replaced an earlier one built in 1836 a little to the south of the new site. It served the Aboriginal settlement of the same name established here in 1834, the first attempt at an Aboriginal agricultural community in Western Canada.