Manitoba Provincial Heritage Site No. 38


St. Paul's United Church
590 Johnson Street,
Boissevain

 St. Paul's United Church

Designation Date: May 10, 1989
Designation Authority: Honourable Bonnie Mitchelson, Minister of Culture, Heritage and Recreation
Present Owner: The Trustees of the St. Paul’s Congregation of the United Church of Canada in the Town of Boissevain

By the turn of the twentieth century, many of Manitoba's small urban centres had grown into solid, prosperous communities. Their buildings reflected this evolution. Substantial Presbyterian and Methodist churches of brick and stone eventually came to replace earlier wood-frame structures. St. Paul's United, originally Methodist, is a fine example of these large buildings. Built in 1893, it is one of the foremost representatives of fieldstone construction.

The church exemplifies the Gothic Revival style, one of the most commonly used architectural expressions of the age. Edward Lowry, a Winnipeg architect, prepared the design for the building. The stone, lime, and sand used to build the walls were drawn from local sources. The construction was undertaken by volunteers from the congregation.

Return to list by Site Name or by Area