Manitoba Provincial Heritage Site No. 125


Canadian Pacific Railway Station
1000 Pacific Avenue
Brandon

Canadian Pacific Railway Station

Designation Date:  April 15, 2011
Designation Authority:  Honourable Flor Marcelino, Minister of Culture, Heritage and Tourism
Present Owner:  privately owned

The Canadian Pacific Railway Station in Brandon is among the three largest and most impressive CPR stations extant in Manitoba. These kinds of stations, denoted First Class by the company, were located at important business and divisional points, and were intended to symbolize the company’s wealth and sophistication. The choice of the Beaux-Arts classical style for Brandon’s 1911 station, executed in grey stone and buff brick, indicates the expectation of Brandon’s importance as a principal city of the province; it became an important administrative, freight and repair headquarters for both the main and branch CPR lines that passed through the city. Its continued physical relationship with the railway tracks, the street and the extant industrial buildings that depended on rail connections for their success make it an important physical reminder of the engines that spurred Manitoba’s development period.

Return to list by Site Name or by Area