Contact | Hours | Locations
All documents are in format
Crime in Manitoba: 2014 to 2036. (1.70 KB)
All documents are in format
Working paper on electoral systems. (18.2 MB)
1.When you have finished searching in one database, and wish to begin searching the other, please remember to click the ‘Sign Out’ link in the Search menu. Then you can launch your next search session in the other database.
The Digital Collection is significant because it provides permanent Internet access to publications of the Government of Manitoba, when the department’s or agency’s links to those publications may disappear from their websites.
3. Publications of Manitoba Government departments and agencies are included in the database. A complete list of departments, offices, agencies, boards and commissions represented in the Digital Collection can be accessed here. If you don’t find publications by a particular organization you are looking for, it may be that the Legislative Library is still attempting to acquire or is processing them for inclusion to the Digital Collection.
Types of publications include:
- Reports of Inquiry Commissions and Task Forces
- Departmental studies
- Information Bulletins
- Annual Reports
- Financial publications (Budgets, Public Accounts)
- Statistical reports
5. The database contains over 3,000 individual publications dating from 1996 to 2008. We are continually locating new as well as older publications, and these are added to the Digital Collection on a monthly basis.
6. Most publications were archived from PDFs on the Internet, and will closely resemble their printed equivalents. Still other publications were re-formatted from older websites in order to make them easier to read and to use within the Digital Collection.
8. Use Search if you want to receive specific results. You can input your search words into the “Search for” full text box, or use the search fields instead. Remember that full text searching will always return more results than field searching.
Use Browse if you want to glance through folders of departments, subjects, authors or collections of Manitoba government publications. Each publication in the Digital Collection belongs to a set of folders under its parent department or
agency, as well as subjects that reflect the publication’s content.
When you are browsing through department name folders, you will find PDFs that are published in English and French, listed under the English and French departmental name folders.
If you are searching and want to know if an item you’ve located is published in more than one language, check the citation in your Search results for the applicable link:
Title: Aboriginal education action plan 2004/05 : highlights report
Other language edition: Plan d’action sur l’éducation autochtone: rapport des points saillants : année 1, 2004/05 - Clicking on the French title will link you to French language edition for this publication
10. You are welcome to search, view and print for your study and research single copies of PDFs in the database. Other reproduction of materials is governed by the Government of Manitoba’s copyright policy.
11. The Legislative Library welcomes your feedback and suggestions. Please forward comments to email@example.com Thank you!
The Digital Collection is best accessed using Internet Explorer 5.0 or later, Mozilla 1.0 or later, and Netscape 6.0 or later. Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0 or later is required to view PDF documents. Documents can be quite lengthy, 1 to 10 MB in size or larger, so you will require a high speed connection to have a satisfying search experience.
Switching between Digital Collection and Legislative Reporting search sessions – how do I refresh the session?
When you have finished searching in one database, and wish to begin searching the other, please remember to click the ‘Sign Out’ link in the Search menu. Then you can launch your next search session in the other database.
To use the French language search interface, click on the français link within the Digital Collection during your search session.
Searches are not case sensitive, so capitalization is unnecessary.
- Enter nopiming provincial park
You may enter search terms in English and French for Titles, Department/Agency names, Authors and any keyword appearing in either language in a document. Please note: Subject terms are input in English only
- Enter Title Un avenir prometteur OR Titre A bright future
- Enter Agence conseil des arts du manitoba OR Agency manitoba arts council
- Enter Subject ‘educational tests and measurements’
- Enter keywords ‘inondation’, ‘flood’, ‘river’, rivière’
Use quotes to search for a specific phrase or name.
- Enter "manitoba capital region"
To search in the year(s) field, enter year or year ranges.
- Enter 2000 or 2000-2004 or >2000
To navigate to a prior screen, click on the breadcrumbs at the top of your results window in Internet Explorer, or click the Back button.
To clear the results of a previous search, click New search before continuing with your next search.
Searches entered in the Search for box are full text keyword searches, ie, they are performed on the complete text of every PDF document contained in the Digital Collection. You may select the kind of full text search you wish depending on the result you want:
Full text Boolean search
Full text searches default to Boolean, which automatically combines all of your keyword search terms together using ‘and’. You may also use ‘or’ and ‘not’ along
with your search words. Results are not ranked or expanded.
- Enter wills lawyers to retrieve documents containing both of these words
- Enter wills or lawyers to retrieve documents containing either of these words
- Enter wills not lawyers to retrieve documents containing the word wills but not lawyers
Full text Concept search – use the down arrow to select Concept search
Automatically retrieves synonyms and other related words (expanded search) on all search words. Ranks returned documents according to greatest relevance.
- Enter justice to retrieve justice, judge, juge, etc.
Full text Pattern search – use the down arrow to select Pattern search
Accommodates spelling differences and ‘half-words’ by expanding the search. Ranks returned documents according to greatest relevance.
- Enter process to retrieve process, procedure
- Enter honor to retrieve honor, honour
- Search for words or phrases contained in Title, Department/Agency, Author, Subject, or to search for dates in the Date of publication field.
- Words or phrases may be entered in multiple fields.
- Order of words you enter does not matter (words are searched as keywords within a field or fields, not as a phrase from left to right.)
- Use Field searching to narrow your search when a full text search retrieves too many documents.
- If your search returns too many documents, click in the box labelled Search Within Results and type in additional search terms, in either the ‘Search for’ full text search box or the field search boxes, to narrow your results.
- To repeat a previous search, click the Search History button, then select a particular search you would like to replicate.
Clicking on the Browse link will take you to:
- Browse by Department and Agency – View alphabetical listings of Manitoba government departments and agencies, under which publications are grouped
- Browse by Collection – Collection Browse has reports listed under Departments and Agencies, as well Task Force and Commissions of Inquiry listed separately under Special report
- Browse by Subject – View Subject listings, in alphabetical order, under which Manitoba government publications are grouped
- Browse by Author – View alphabetical listing of personal names and other Manitoba organizations responsible for creating publications.
Wildcards Descriptions Example _ match one or zero characters colo_r @ match exactly one alpha character gr@y # match exactly one numeric character #600 * match anything or nothing comput* ? match exactly one character wom?n ^ match any character except the next character 200[^7] [ ] search expression; can include a hyphen to indicate a range of letters or numbers; will match only one character within the brackets 200[2-6] adj search expression; Word1 must be found within N words of word2, and word1 must come before word2. word1 word2 adj N within search expression; Word1 must be found within N words of word2. word1 word2 within N
- Use ! to expand one word via a concept search when not in concept mode.
- Enter road! pikwitonei in Boolean or Pattern mode to do a concept search on only the word road.
- Use ~ to do pattern expansion on one word when in Boolean or Concept mode.
- Enter public ~nurse in Boolean or Concept mode to do a pattern search on only the word nurse.
- Use " " to keep specific search words from being expanded when in Concept or Pattern mode.
- Enter "irrigation” aquifer in a Concept or Pattern search to keep the word irrigation from being expanded.
After choosing Boolean, Concept, or Pattern as the search type, enter your search words in the keyword search box; in one or more field search boxes (Title, Author, Subject, and Year); or in a combination of the keyword and field search boxes.
For additional information, or assistance in locating documents, please contact the library.